Mapping knobs of KKM32 to Logic Pro X

chaoslord27
chaoslord27 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hi, I recently purchased Komplete Kontrol M32 to use with Logic Pro X. So far, I can only control volume with the knobs even though the marketing said it would control parameters and map to Logic Pro X. How to I map the knob to other parameters and why is it so difficult to find information on this subject despite the marketing confirming compatibility with Logic Pro X? As this is my first Native Instrument product this is not a good start to keeping me as a return customer.

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,037 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

normally you use it with the Komplete kontrol plugin and with the provided DAW integration. You should also be able to switch it into midi mode with shift + midi and then you can assign the 8 encoders to functions in logic.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

Hello,

normally you use it with the Komplete kontrol plugin and with the provided DAW integration. You should also be able to switch it into midi mode with shift + midi and then you can assign the 8 encoders to functions in logic.

• chaoslord27
    chaoslord27 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Thank you for the response! I haven't been able to figure out how to open Komplete Kontrol. Do you open it through Logic or on its own? I have it downloaded in my NI library. I also downloaded and printed the 147 page user manual for reference. I'll keep digging for answers in there also. Thank you for your patience in helping this noob out!

• Uwe303

You open it as instrument in logic, you then open instruments within komplete kontrol and fx, and everything is already mapped for native stuff and some other manufacturers. You can also create your own mappings and save them

• JoshBa
    JoshBa Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Hey guys

I'm experiencing kind of a similar disappointment.

I just got the Komplete Kontrol A49 and expected a bit more from "Full integration with Logic Pro X".

I was kinda hoping to get some more integration than just hitting record and play (and a few more things I could also easily achieve with my old Alesis VI25).

Especially, what I'm missing is more plug-in control. Specifically, I was hoping for Logic to try it's best to basically automatically map the parameters from any plug-in onto those 8 nice encoders. Or at least that the smart controls are mapped automatically to them. I wasn't expecting it to work perfectly with all the plug-ins, but at least to have a starting point from where you could adjust the mapping and don't have to start from scratch for every plug-in.

I been looking for answers for two days, but couldn't really find any helpful information about plug-in control in Logic with the Komplete Kontrol.

What caught my intention was, that my controller doesn't appear in the list you see in the screenshot, which would probably allow Logic to do that automatic mapping...

It is in here though...

Anybody knows how I can achieve that automatic mapping?

Would really, really appreciate some help!

Thank you everybody🙏

• Uwe303

I'm not a logic user myself but in cubase I can use the midi port (not the DAW port) to do exactly this, I can switch my A49 into midi mode and then I can control the quick controls of the selected track. I'm pretty sure logic has that too, you just have to create another midi device with that midi port and map it.

• JoshBa
    edited November 2023

Hey Uwe

Thanks for the reply!

When you say quick controls, do you mean the volume fader, sends, pan and so on of the selected track? This I can do as well.

But I was referring to the smart controls in Logic Pro. It's a way of controlling parameters of a plug in without opening the plugin.

With creating another midi device and mapping it. Do you mean creating a new template in the Komplete Kontrol software that I could select when I switch to the MIDI Mode on the Komplete Kontrol?

Or do you mean creating a new device in the OS (Mac/Windows). Sorry, I'm still kinda confused with MIDI sometimes...

Thank you for the help!

• Uwe303
    edited November 2023

No cubase quick controls are like smart controls in logic, as far as I understand. You have 8 parameters per track, or now even per plugin, you can map and always have them on the 8 knobs, as you select the track, or for focus quick controls as you select the plugin. Unfortunately I have not found a video for logic and how to assign 8 knobs to those smart controls ( I guess they equal more focus quick controls in cubase)

I mean creating a new generic controller within logic and use the not DAW port, where those 8 knobs send midi if you are in midi mode) and assign that generic midi controller to the smart controls. But like I said I unfortunately found no video showing how to do it from start to end.

• Uwe303
    edited November 2023
  • JoshBa

Aaah okok, I didn't realize that the mapping for the smart controls would be the same for all plug-ins if you map it for one plug-in.

I thought you have to map the smart controls for every plugin separately.

That would definitely help a lot. Will have to try that out.

I mean I would still like to take advantage of that automatic Logic mapping if anybody knows how that is possible...

Thank you for the help already Uwe! Very helpful!