Cannot select browser mode in Komplete Kontrol - browser button not working

pkzande
pkzande Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited April 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi all, I installed my new Komplete Kontrol M32 this week after good experiences with my S61. However, I can't seem to get the browser button to work in overlay mode. So when I am working directly in the Komplete Kontrol software itself, or a Komplete Kontrol instance on a track in Logic Pro X, the instrument instance does NOT popup on screen.

After some digging I found out that there is supposed to be a way to switch between "hardware". and " screen overlay" mode in the KK preferences under the " keyboard". tab. However, I do not see such tab in my preferences tab. So cannot change this setting to see if it solves my problem.

When I hit the browser button on my M32, I can see in the little M32 screen that I CAN actually browse through instruments and load them. But I'd like to see it on my laptop screen too. Does anyone know how I can get the on-screen overlay to work so that the instrument instance pops up for browsing?

Best Answer

• pkzande
    Answer ✓

Hi Jeremy,

Well, that is quite embarrassing. I had not read the Quickstart guide yet (assuming I could rely on my S61 experience). So I went through it just now and all my questions were answered and everything works as it should!!

Thanks so much for this simple, yet very effective, tip!

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,319 mod

Hey @pkzande I assume that you had an S61 MK1. On M32, A series or S series MK2 keyboards, there is no more screen overlay or pop-up window. You can still see on the screen the instruments you are browsing.

• pkzande

Thanks Jeremy for your quick response!

Indeed, I think you are right, it looks like a difference in behavior between my S61 (MK1) and the M32. But what I notice is that I now (with M32) need to use my mouse to open the instrument on a Komplete Kontrol track. When I press the browser button on my S61 it opens the actual browser window on my computer. I can't seem to make that happen with the M32.

But even ignoring that difference, when I manually open the browser window om my Mac with my mouse, the M32 cannot start browsing at the top level (by selecting a specific library, then zooming in to the next level etc). I have to select a library manually with my mouse and WITHIN the library I can indeed start using the M32 for browsing. Is that normal behavior? Is it possible to use the M32 to start browsing from the library (top) level and then go deeper from there? This is what I find very helpful in the S61 but can't seem to do on M32.

• Jeremy_NI

Well, you shouldn't need the mouse at all, even with the M32, once you press Browse, you can navigate between File Types (Instruments, loops, one shots), then Products, types, characters and then results. Did you check the Quickstart guide ? Is it behaving differently on your system ?

• pkzande
    Answer ✓

Hi Jeremy,

Well, that is quite embarrassing. I had not read the Quickstart guide yet (assuming I could rely on my S61 experience). So I went through it just now and all my questions were answered and everything works as it should!!

Thanks so much for this simple, yet very effective, tip!

• Chilled
    Chilled Member Posts: 22 Member

So the A Series has no more popup screen overlay? Your forced to view the tiny lcd screen on the A Series board?

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

Yeah, we lost some nice features after the MK1, seems the trends now is to cripple versions rather than enhance them, I sometimes would prefer an OSD even using the MK2 since it's sometimes easier to keep a focus on the screen than to look down to the keyboard, reason I just use the mouse for browsing mostly.

• Chilled
    Chilled Member Posts: 22 Member

Thats really unfortunate as I suffer from diminished eye sight (completely blind now in my left eye) and my depth perception is dramatically impaired. I also have Carpal issues in both hands which acts up if I have to use the mouse to often since I worked in Computer Tech for 25 years which left my hands vulnerable. Thank you so much for explaining the situation JesterMgee. All of my VST's are NKS Native or your Freelance Soundlabs NKS libraries (Omnisphere, Falcon, Cherry Audio, etc) so this is actually a big issue for me. I also use Ableton Live 11 and Logic Pro X almost exclusively. I work best when all my gear is right in front of me due to my eye sight constraints. I do have a Machine MK3 (3 years old now, and several rotaries have loosened what up now) and may pair that with a small Novation Launchkey 25 mini mk3, LK25 mk3 or LK37 mk3 so that everything works for my 46" length wooden desktop. Which also has a mouse pad so usable desk width is really about 36" or so which is still a bit of a strain since I have to turn my head to the left so often due to blindness in my left eye (I am right handed). It has become a really dilemma after my full retina detachment and hand issues. I suppose if NI made a KK S37/32 MK3 with the same keyed as the S1 had (which I think was better as well as general overall build quality) I would strong consider it as I do like the Screens on my Maschine MK3, though I do feel they could have employed a lot more graphics like the Push 2. I quite like my Push 2 but its browsing mode leaves a lot to be desired and pairing it with the Maschine MK3 works but I miss the added expressive nuances I get from playing a good keybed. Though the Novation LK series keypads are not even close to the Fatar key beds or good Roland key beds.

Your comments are very much welcomed as any suitable suggestions I may not have considered.

Thank you.

• sevesp
    sevesp Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Hi.

I have a Komplete Kontrol A61 and, for reasons I don't know, sometimes I have the option to press the browse on the KK controller, but once I go to Track Instance then the Browse button is not lighting (and working) and longer.

Another annoying thing is that the keyboard functions (Play, Stop, etc.) Do not work and produce just a sound, corresponding to a note. I try to go to the controls surfaces, preferences, etc. but nothing, then at some point I get a popup screen telling me that Logic wants to connect the keyboard then it does work, but I do not really know why the function bottoms are not working straight away, specially after having worked the previous time I used my Macbook Pro ...

Any ideas?

A bit disappointed with the KK controller, as I though that once configured it would work every time.

• Jeremy_NI

@sevesp Have you given full disk access to Komplete Kontrol and Logic? How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS What's your operating system?

• sevesp
    sevesp Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Jeremy,

I am on a MacBook Pro M1 with Sonoma, yes Sonoma, which has been in the market now for a good while ....

I have been running Logic Pro on rosetta mode, I have also try to run the other software on Roseta. The thing is that sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't. I do not do anything specific for it to work or not to work. Sometimes I have tried running Komplete Kontrol before Logic Pro, other times both a the same time. To be honest, for the moment is a total hassle. I though than NI product would be working seamlessly from day 1. It hasn't. There are lots of freebies at NI, but I would rather prefer that there were less freebies and NI dedicated more attention to their products. Considering what I have been reading on the net, there are problems with NI products ....

I have tried also the firmware update on an old Mac, same result. The Firmware updater does not work. I got another software updater, sent to me on an e-mail link. Nothing, nada.

I will wait for a couple more of days, to see if anyone at NI gets me to a solution, otherwise the keyboard is going back to where I bought it. They offered already to refund the product, but I am waiting ....

We are talking about just a midi controller which costs around £ 170, so not precisely the cheapest ....

• Jeremy_NI
    edited March 12

@sevesp I've seen your other comments and already answered to one of them. You're already in contact with our support.