Absynth is dead

Comments

• MATAKAO
    MATAKAO Member Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2022

from Cdm website: https://cdm.link/2022/09/ni-has-retired-absynth-soft-synth-after-22-years-heres-a-statement-from-its-creator/

Statement from NI; end-of-life support

Native Instruments has responded with an official statement.

The important takeaway – while new purchases will disappear, downloads are still available for existing customers, and there’s nothing stopping you using the current version of Absynth on your current OS and machines. (They mention only Intel Macs here, but their own support documentation suggests Absynth 5 is compatible with Rosetta 2 – so it’s not Apple Silicon native, but it is compatible.)

Here’s that statement in full:

Native Instruments has made the decision to not include Absynth in Komplete 14, and to additionally stop selling it as an individual product. We know that this will be disappointing news for many of you who have been long-time users of the software synthesizer during its 22 years on the market. 

We always aspire to provide the best user experience with each product that we offer in our catalogue. Unfortunately, we must acknowledge that this is sometimes not possible due to constantly evolving user needs and technological standards. Discontinuing Absynth was not an easy decision to make, but the resource required to keep the product in line with modern standards has become too much of a challenge. Absynth has also long been in need of updates and improvements, and we are unfortunately not able to provide the synth with the attention it needs. 

Due to this, we have stopped all sales and development activities effective immediately. Users who already have a license will not be affected, as Absynth will continue to operate normally. All users with a license will still be able to download and use it on current versions of Windows 10/11 or on Intel Macs up to macOS 12.

We want to deeply thank Brian Clevinger for being such a great collaborator and inspiring creators over the years, and thank all of you for loving Absynth as much as we have.

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 357 Pro
    edited September 2022

Why the angst? You still own Absynth, you can still activate Abysnth. Why are you shivering with fear that you won't be able to activate Absynth anymore? I don't get it. But, it fits to the hysteric Zeitgeist, that's for sure. Always angst, angst, angst.

• MATAKAO
    MATAKAO Member Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2022

But, it fits to the hysteric Zeitgeist, that's for sure. Always angst, angst, angst

@chk071...boring, boring, boring, un-productive and maybe a little hysteric words from you too.

"The snake bites its tail".

Full stop

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Hey people, here is an official statement and FAQ about the End of Sale for our beloved Absynth:

End of Sale for Absynth 5 - Official statement & FAQ

• Gibson845
    Gibson845 Member Posts: 39 Member
    edited September 2022

For how much longer will I be able to activate my version of Absynth? 

There are currently no plans to make Absynth inaccessible for users who already have a license, and who are using the product on a computer that is compatible with both Native Access 2 and Absynth 5.

---------

so what? and when Native Access 3 or whatever is released? maybe in 2 years? lol. the same bull** like before.

i tell you they once did it with SERVICE CENTER who says they wont do it again. they dont care, i told support about i want my products be activated they just dont care. you cannot legally use/activate your older products anymore. the official statement & faq is a joke nothing more about this. and just calming down majority i guess as always.

"There are currently no plans to make Absynth inaccessible" yeah, you should smell what this means.

the only way is to make them understand with your wallets and also send them mails that this is not acceptable. but i guess this will lead in the same **** like with service center. see you in a few years lol

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin

@Gibson845 There is tons of products that aren't for sale and still available via Native Access. Changing application software doesn't even mean the end of thing. We can roll out Native Access 15 and it wouldn't necessarily mean breaking activations, just like moving from NA1 to NA2 didn't break anything.

In any case, we'd appreciate it if you could keep the discussion at a respectful level.

• Gibson845

why warn me? i censored my words mself with these * .... shall i still thank NI? tell me which parts are UNCIVIL.

ok Matt if you are so optimistic. then please let me activate Absynth 4? :) ok?

oh doesnt work cause NI switched off Service Center Servers? what if you guys name Native Access = Native New Generation Control Center and switch servers? then you switch off Native Access?

please answer to these questions.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@Gibson845 Absynth 5 is only in an end of sale status, you can still activate it now, install it and use it, we even offer technical support on it. It's not End Of Life. If the End Of Life comes it will be properly communicated then. I understand that you are not happy that you were not able to activate Absynth 4 that was discontinued in 2007, please keep in mind that this is 15 years ago.

• Matt_NI
    edited September 2022

It's not because you censor yourself that your content reads better. What about just writing respectfully from the get go?

We spoke about the situation with Service Center at length many times over and again here the situation is different. Absynth 5 is using the same activation mechanism we use today which means that if something was to break, it would potentially mean you can't activate anything we have. Just like I said in another comment, nobody can predict you what's going to happen in 30 years but what we can say is that there is no need to panic and mix everything up. Absynth 5 activates and we have no reason to believe this will change any time soon.

And yes just like @Jeremy_NI mentioned above, this isn't even end of life but end of sale which is quite different in itself.

• Gibson845

ok, so see you in 30 years?

still you guys should refund me my old products i cannot activate. it is like MERCEDES takes my keys away and i cannot drive my car. doesnt make the situation better.

so would you refund my old SERVICE CENTER products or maybe send me a Collectors Edition update for free to compensate?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

OK, there are two (or more) authorisation methods NI has used.,,,

Why it is not possible to use the both in Native Access? And allow to activate all EOL SW? By the way Service Center was able to provide the both methods. So, why not NA?

What about if someone would want to use Absynth in 100 years? Fiction? Why? It may be researcher, historician, collector of digitall antiquies, musician, .....

• Matt_NI

Something that was also communicated back then but we did offer alternatives free of charge if you own instruments we listed in our service center EOL article. Just contact our support team here: https://bit.ly/n1install

• Matt_NI
    edited September 2022

We explained why in our KB article here: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006053397-Service-Center-and-Legacy-Products-End-of-Life

TLDR: The older activation mechanisms is too old to live alongside technology we use today and the one we'll be using in the future + the teams had growing security concerns with the way the data was transmitted.

I feel we're going off topic here though

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

OK, and what happens to Absynth, when NI will use the new ´next generation´ activation technology for certain time and the current becomes obsolete and no more used? It may happen in 10-15 years...

Is NI prepared to issue installers for Absynth, that do not need activation? Or the history will repeat again and one day users will not be able to use it anymore?