Importing midi files in Maschine 2

Elena
Elena Member Posts: 35 Member
edited September 2022 in Maschine

Hello. Does anyone know how to import a midi file, exported from Logic, in Maschine 2? It seems like no matter how I try to export it, Maschine 2 will not import it. Although, any other midi file (like for example, midis from a midi chords pack) are imported without problems. I don't understand what is the difference between these files or what Logic does to an exported midi file, so that Maschine is unable to import it.

Comments

• Eric Rabb
    Eric Rabb Member Posts: 40 Member

Just try this, copy the midi file in logic, and “drag and copy onto an empty track” add a instrument to that same track and that should do it. Never used logic though, but it should work.But it’s basically a copy drag and drop function.

• Elena
    edited September 2022

Hello. Thank you for your reply. But I don't have issues with Logic, only with Maschine 2: A midi exported from Logic will not be imported by Maschine 2. A midi from a midi chords pack will be imported without issues. And I don't understand why. I just want to import some keys recorded in Logic, into Maschine 2, and use them for a beat. Oh, I just discovered that the same issue is with Ableton too. So, a midi exported from any DAW will not be imported by Maschine 2.

• Kaldosh
    Kaldosh Member Posts: 296 Advisor

I don't have that issue with ABleton, I can drag midi file from Ableton browser, Finder or as suggested above copy paste from DAW to Maschine without issue, you can also route your midi track from logic to maschine and record the midi events with Maschine 2.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,291 mod

@Elena There is no drag & drop for MIDI to Maschine. You would first need to export your MIDI file from Logic, then, in Maschine right click in a sound and select "Import MIDI"

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited September 2022

Just tried right-clicking some MIDI from Logic and exporting, then dragged the file into MAS Pad and it worked fine.

Not sure if its an OS thing but MIDI drag-and-drop to Maschine always worked fine for me, if it's just for a Pad we have to be in keyboard mode tho.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro

If you ever have issues with MIDIfiles, it is worth installing the Reaper demo (full features, just a reminder to buy at boot) to investigate, Reaper will load anything that is valid and on export generally fixes any incompatibilities between different softwares too, you can also split by channel etc too, plus run scripts/macros.

I have created a macro in the past to convert Maschine pad MIDI to the ridiculous MPC pad MIDI layout, single click.

• Elena

Accidentally found out that it only works if you copy that midi file from your Logic Pro X project in a new Logic project, with no other files in it than the one you want to export. Then if I export it again from that new project, the midi file will be imported by Maschine 2. Pretty counterintuitive, I'd say:)