Absynth is dead

Comments

• Dooby
    Dooby Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hi,

It's a shame, but understandable.

Customer care, I'd like to know the following:

• If I upgrade to Komplete 14, will I lose access to Absynth? (I would guess not as it's an upgrade)
    • Will it be possible to activate Absynth for the foreseeable future, or will it eventually be impossible to do this?
    • In the event of activation being disabled, would it be possible to provide a copy of Absynth that doesn't require activation?
  • StevieSallz
    StevieSallz Member Posts: 1 Member

I still use Absynth and have a ton of presets from back in the day - NI better make sure I can still use it going forward.....

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert

While your frustration is understandable, you seemingly don't understand why things happened the way they did back then. (And why it's rather unlikely that something like that will happen again in the near future). Luckily, there's a FAQ below explaining everything clearly:

Software becomes old at some point - that is an inevitable thing. And NI's software is no exception to that. Don't expect companies to provide support for their software for centuries because, realistically, this simply isn't possible nor feasible for various reasons.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Well, NI has broken EULA at that case.... And providing some sort of possibility to use SW that person purchased is expected right... Of course only on HW and OS versions it has been made for, not forever on any HW and OS version users desire....

NI should have done one of those:

1) Go on with offline authentizations. (Customers would run Service Center on their old system and NI would use old server, or new server, or some kind of new utility.)

2) NI could prepare unlocked version.

3) NI could make utility that makes authentization online...

Yes, all of this costs something, but ....

---------------

On the other side I agree with you that no company is obliged to support SW (maintain compatibility with new OSes) forever. Absynth might be usable for a decade+ more. At least on Windows.

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 356 Pro

"thanks for your post, full of interesting and insipiring thoughts...Reaktor "form" is a good granular ereaktor ensemble too. But Absynth was more that a granular synth, a real hybrid with a palette of synthesis."

Actually, Form is no granular synth at all. It does "sample tracking", which is a different thing. There are no grains like in granular synthesis.

• chk071

I think what you forget is that the developer has to be paid for further development. And, that it has to be worthwhile, financially, to be able to fund further development.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited September 2022

@Dooby I'll try to answer your questions here:

If I upgrade to Komplete 14, will I lose access to Absynth? (I would guess not as it's an upgrade)

Absynth 5 can still be used, installed, activated, if you own it or even if you buy a second hand license.

Will it be possible to activate Absynth for the foreseeable future, or will it eventually be impossible to do this?

It is activated by Native Access 2, so as long as Native Access 2 is running you will be able to activate Absynth 5. Since it was just released, that should give us a few years.

In the event of activation being disabled, would it be possible to provide a copy of Absynth that doesn't require activation?

There is not such plan but there might be a possibility of offline activation (with an older version of Absynth 5)

Absynth is now in End of Service. It only means we don't sell it anymore, we don't update it anymore. We still offer technical support for it (for at least 2 years). You can still use it if your operating system allows it.

@Kubrak I hope that this also answer some of your concerns.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
  • Gibson845
    Gibson845 Member Posts: 39 Member

it is just disgusting how people even defend NI/companies.

VSTs might not be supported forever

• fact, yes, but if you buy it you should be able to still use it/authorize it even if a company discontinues it or gets out of business or whatever

You dont own digital goods

• just digitally yes, which means offline only, online only? or both?

Just imagine NI gets out of business, gets sold or whatever or they say byebye all and turn of Native Access! you dont own and cannot even use your ****** anymore :D.

NI did that already with Service Center only VSTs, you guys should think ahead and not being selfish and whatever. such BAD and just BAD VEY BAD customer care shouldnt be supported.

they just take your products away for which YOU PAID! LEGAL PAYWARE you cannot use anymore! who says NI will continue to let you activate Absynth 5 next year? or the year after etc.? Absynth 5 is unique, Camelaudio gave you offline installers and went to Apple etc. also other companies gave you offline installers, offline serials etc. but NI just rips you off, my old VSTs i cannot activate anymore. so they just dont let me use my OLD software! legally! so what now?

• Gibson845
    Gibson845 Member Posts: 39 Member

ok now posts need to be approved? nice NI nice.... i expect the same stuff like Service Center, some time you cannot activate your LEGAL products anymore. i now cut my whole post, maybe this gets approved and posted.

• andalassamXX
    andalassamXX Member Posts: 53 Helper

We are not subscribing to anything, but buying them.

It should have no deadline, even if the company Ni collapses.

Ni should provide us with an offline license. Just like substance painter 2020 did, it gave us an offline permanent license before it was acquired. I think Ni should learn from them, rather than harming users' interests to avoid piracy.

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro

First of all this has little to do with Absynth itself getting phased out, but also... you're talking about the digital consumer market in general.

What's more disgusting: people taking advantage of companies "because" and usurping all of their development efforts for free because "warez", or companies which try to protect their income and livelihood? Not to mention that you sure do a lot of assuming: why assume that NI would just close down by giving us all the finger vs. ... unlocking all of their stuff before closing up shop?

I get the impression that you don't seem to understand that there are people working at companies like NI and they too have families to support and mouths to feed. What about them, hmm?

Also, you spout off a lot of nonsense. Service Center you say? Ripping off you say?

So how the heck did this happen if NI is only trying to "rip us off":

I paid for those Kore soundpacks, I was especially impressed with North India because I had never heard anything so authentic as that back then, also with all the strumming effects and all. This was... what? 8 - 10 years ago? As you can see I can still use 'm if I wanted to.

Or what about Komplete Elements 7? That was my first "real" entry into Komplete, (ab)used it back and forth and it was the main motivator for me to step into Komplete 12 & 13 UC.

Fun fact: I still have the box for KE 7 but as you can see I could also download it if I wanted to, talk about extra service! See, you mentioned service center but you neglected to mention that the rule back then was very clear: download the installer, keep said installer safe because we won't "just" hand out a new one.

Which is why I still have this:

Guess what? It takes a lot of tweaking and messing but I can still get that critter to work "sorta". Together with all the soundpacks I paid for I might add.

What was that about losing access to all our stuff "just like that"? I mean, you do realize that Kore really is no more, right?

And it is those personal experiences, which well lasted over 10 years for me, why I favor a company like NI. Because they're not all words and hype, they actually have a history to back up their words and actions.

• chk071

Did you lose your Absynth license? I still have it in my account...

• andalassamXX
    andalassamXX Member Posts: 53 Helper

It still exists, but I don't know what will happen in two years. I'm worried about the future.