Can I use Ableton Link on Maschine+ via an USB Ethernet adapter?

kinskop
kinskop Member Posts: 18 Helper

Hey there. I just found an NI support article saying that it's possible to connect an USB Ethernet adapter to Maschine+ (standalone mode) for a more stable Internet connection. Does anyone has real life experiences using the same adapter for Ableton Link?

I had an Akai Sampler before with an Ethernet port build in and using Ableton Link trough that was just rock solid and without any setup hassle at all. Just went straight into my PC Ethernet port and that's it.

Comments

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@kinskop As far as I know using Ableton Link with Maschine Plus out of the box is already quite stable. Are you having difficulties ?

• kinskop

When it runs it actually is very stable. But lately my Maschine is sometimes having trouble keeping the Wifi connection running. I guess it sometimes manages to reconnect quietly but more often it replies with the false statement that my wifi password is not correct. At this point I either have to reboot Maschine+ or type in the password again with that funky scroll encoder. This is super annoying when you are in a creative mindset. Especially with quite long wifi passwords.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@kinskop You could try the USB Ethernet adapter. You could also try a reset of the Maschine Plus, that would reset the Wifi password registry. Unfortunately you would loose your favorites if you use favorites.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

If you go the Ethernet dongle route note that not all work, the only one I remember by heart that works is the one from Apple, but of course, it's double the price of the common ones at around 30$.

So if you go an buy a cheap one make sure you can return it in case it doesn't work.

• kinskop

The only ones I can find straight from the Apple are Thunderbolt/USB-C to Ethernet adapters. But that would mean another Dongle to blow it up to USB-A first. Not sure if that's the path to enlightment, is it?

I could get a "Hama" dongle (German Quality made in China) from the Mall around the corner.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro

Just look on ebay for an Apple USB to Ethernet, they don't sell them new anymore, and they pretty much never break, so second hand should be safe, I paid £10.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited September 2022

No idea... To me a dongle within another dongle sounds mega silly, i'd just do what @Flexi said or take your chances with the mall one. Up to you. I was just giving you a heads-up based on reports I've read on the forum.

• kinskop

Yeah...I just found plenty of chances to get the Apple one on Ebay. I guess I will give that a chance.

Hopefully I can report back quite soon how good it works with Ableton Link.

• kinskop

Alright, let's wrap this up:

It works and it works great!!!

I testet this with two USB-LAN Adapters and both work flawlessly. One from Digitus and the other from Hama. So Maschine seems to be quite forgiving on that matter. Both are USB-2 and without any Gigabit Lan whatever. No clue if any of this is a must.

Link over Lan is just absolout amazing reliable clockpower deluxe. As the only really weakpoint on Ableton Link is the Wifi connection (sometimes).

I have a setup now, where I use the M+ clock to sync all my hardware stuff and use Link for the connection between M+ and Bitwig. This way I can start jamming with hardware only and start my DAW whenever I'm ready to record, because I can start and stop Hard- and Software indipendent from each other, but always on time. Latency compensation via Link in Bitwig is just absoloutly spot on! And you can even crank up youre PC-Buffer if you need to and still be in sync (as long as you do direct-monitoring)

Magic.