Maschine+ Plays pattern out of sync on first Play after loading project

RichBass
RichBass Member Posts: 27 Member

Hi, I’ve searched for an answer but can’t seem to find it, so I’m asking for help!

When I load a project, the very first time I play that project, one of my group’s patterns has a delayed start. It’s not much, maybe an sixteenth, but it’s noticeable, and it’s only the first note. But it’s out of sync with the rest of the patterns to start. As a workaround, I can press stop and immediately press Restart again and the part will then come in as expected every time thereafter.

I don’t need to load a different project and then load this project again to see the issue. I can simply reload the same project, and then the first time I play it, the delay is there.

I can’t confirm whether or not this is an issue with all projects or not. It doesn’t seem to be. I tried determining if this was an issue using the included projects and it does not seem to happen with those.

Has anyone seen this before?

Best Answer

• RichBass
    Answer ✓

Update: I thought it was the drums, but I exported audio for the first play through and the second and compared them in Logic. It turns out that it’s actually the guitar. I sent over my project to NI and support was able to confirm that there is an issue with the guitar instrument that needs a fix. It’s a minor annoyance and I’m mostly happy that I’m not simply doing something wrong, but I hope to see an update at some point.

Thanks for your suggestions, and thank you NI support!

Rich

Answers

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 997 Guru

Ideally you need to provide more information about that project. How many groups, how many patterns, what are they playing (loops, one shots, instruments etc), how many effects are running (and where) - particularly the one that's delayed.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

After that initial retrigger, once its working fine if you re-save the project, does it still happen?

If that doesn't help try saving the Group, then delete it from the project and load it again to a new Group.

• RichBass

Sure, I'm not sure what is most important, will do my best:

I've got 7 groups, only three have anything loaded:

Group 1 is the AR 70s Tight kit, no effects, 6 patterns total

Group 2 is a Kontakt Classic Bass, no effects, 6 patterns total

Group 3 is a Kontakt Rock Guitar, no effects, 5 patterns total

I have no effects on the Master

All groups are playing patterns I've tapped in and then quantized. The patterns are 16 bars each.

I have 11 scenes, all instruments play in each.

I tried saving the group, but didn't realize it wouldn't save the pattern, so I lost the patterns, but this yielded some additional interesting debug info. Ok, so now Group 3 is the AR 70s Tight kit, and the others have shifted. I programmed a very basic bass drum on beats 1&3, snare on 2&4 pattern with high hats on the eighths. I programmed it using step mode. And the same thing is happening: The bass drum on beat one is delayed on the first play through after loading the project.

• RichBass

I just had a thought that ok, maybe it's not the kick that's off, maybe it's the guitar part that's starting off wrong as I don't recall exactly how I entered the pattern, so maybe my time in the performance was sketchy. So I selected all events in the guitar pattern and quantized it. But the timing issue on beat one after loading the project is still there.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited August 2022

I tried saving the group, but didn't realize it wouldn't save the pattern, so I lost the patterns, but this yielded some additional interesting debug info.

It does, but only loads them if that option is enabled. Hold Shift in the Browser>Groups and enable +Patterns.

The bass drum on beat one is delayed on the first play through after loading the project.

Check in the Events Menu if the first note is not actually in the end of pattern, for the kick guitar and whatever else is going on on the project. These things are easier to debug visually, perhaps try opening the projject on the computer instead of in standalone mode.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert

If I understood correctly, all your Sounds including the drums, are based on Kontakt libraries. Most probably it just takes longer to load all those samples.

Does the lag also happen after loading the Project if you wait a minute before you hit play?

• RichBass

Took me a while to get back to it and try that suggestion. I still need to check the Events menu visually, but I was able to try just waiting. Loaded the project and set a timer.... 15 minutes later hit Play and it was still delayed. I'll need to try checking the Events, but might open a ticket with NI support.

It's more annoyance than anything as I'm not performing with it, but still, it's a bit annoying!

Thanks for your help @D-One and @ozon , I'll update this thread for everyone's benefit if it gets solved!

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert

One more suggestion:

Replace your existing Kontakt based sounds with internal Sampler and Synth engines. If the timing is still off, it’s not related to Kontakt load times.

• RichBass
    Answer ✓

Update: I thought it was the drums, but I exported audio for the first play through and the second and compared them in Logic. It turns out that it’s actually the guitar. I sent over my project to NI and support was able to confirm that there is an issue with the guitar instrument that needs a fix. It’s a minor annoyance and I’m mostly happy that I’m not simply doing something wrong, but I hope to see an update at some point.

Thanks for your suggestions, and thank you NI support!

Rich