Can I keep both Traktor 3 and 2

gruvy
gruvy Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited September 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

hi, i would like to upgrade from traktor pro 2 scratch to 3. The problem is that: i use yosemite and I think I can't upgrade for performance and hardware beyond catalina. That said I would like to upgrade traktor and my question 1 is : how can I keep the archive of everything I have in the new version of traktor?

Question 2: can I keep version 2 and 3 installed without any problems, or does the upgrade exclude the previous version? It seems to me that I can keep the 2 versions, but I'm not sure, thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• djcoryminto
    djcoryminto Member Posts: 9 Member
    Answer ✓

Confirmed: I fired up both TP2 and TP3 (separately of course) and both worked fine, loading as separate programs with separate collections. Making changes in TP2 library, for example, will not be seen in the TP3 library, and vica-versa. They exist side by side, unrelated to each other, using different collection folders (but referencing the same music files, in my case). Of course I don't plan to USE TP2 anymore, but i suppose i can in an emergency.

Answers

• djcoryminto

i am on Catalina (using an early 2013 MBP), just upgraded last week. Can you rephrase question #1?

I'll say that the upgrade takes the existing Traktor 2 collection and creates a Traktor 3 version of it, in a totally separate folder. So the two installations will exist side by side, unrelated to each other. I haven't tried DJing with TP2 again, but don't see why it wouldn't work, as TP2 references the still-unfettered TP2 collection files.

I'll reply back after trying it perhaps later this week in an actual DJing scenario w/ hardware. (altho remember that, e.g. some newer hardware like my S4 MK3 will not work with TP2).

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

For Most if Not All NI products, when there is a "Major Version" Release (Traktor 2 to 3) it is not an "Update" to existing software, but rather a completely new Version and the Upgrade price you pay is based on the fact that you owned the previous version. For example, when Kontakt was upgraded from version 5 to Version 6, after purchasing the Upgrade to Version 6, Version 5 was unaltered and can coexists with version 6 without issue. The only downside is that if you open a project created in a previous version in the new version and Save it, it cannot be opened in the previous version anymore... so one has to make sure to back up the old version prior to using in the new version in case you want to go back to the old version. Again, I am assuming that Traktor "Upgrades" work the same way. Hope that clarifies a bit!!

• djcoryminto
    Answer ✓

Confirmed: I fired up both TP2 and TP3 (separately of course) and both worked fine, loading as separate programs with separate collections. Making changes in TP2 library, for example, will not be seen in the TP3 library, and vica-versa. They exist side by side, unrelated to each other, using different collection folders (but referencing the same music files, in my case). Of course I don't plan to USE TP2 anymore, but i suppose i can in an emergency.