What can be saved per pattern to re-use an instrument in different ways?

S Righteous
S Righteous Member Posts: 148 Helper

I'm using the Maschine plus, and am being CPU conscious. When I have a synth pattern, I often want another pattern to be able to use the same synth, but with slightly different settings. I don't think this can't be done, and it doesn't look like it can be done with Macros. I don't think anything is saved with Patterns, other than the midi notes.

I can of course make a copy of the same synth on a second pad in my group, and edit that for the variety. But I assume doubling a synth doubles the CPU usage of the synth. If you could have macros, or other stuff saved 'per pattern' I think you would get a lot more milage out of the CPU. It's a very Elektron way of maximizing your synth.

I have never recorded automation in my Maschine, possibly there is a way there to do this, or is there a way to have a synth switch 'patches' per pattern?

Best Answer

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

You can also apply Automation in Step Mode which then becomes similar to Elektron parameter locks. I think this is also the preferred way for your intended purpose of changing a sound for a whole Pattern.

This is also shown in the recently published Maschine Tutorial video part 2 with Boris.

Answers

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro
    edited September 2022

You need to get acquainted with automation ASAP, because it partly solves your problem and it is one of the most rewarding aspects of your Maschine.

Automation is per pattern. Same synth, same preset, but different settings, e.g., no problem. Same or different notes.

Automation however is optimised for movement. That means it is possible, but not too comfortable creating the feel of two different synth "scenes" if you will (step modulation will kind of get you there, however).

But here's the best thing: you actually don't need another pattern. Please look up lock states (Boris's recent masterclass video of everything in Maschine on NI's YouTube channel should have a chapter on that, e.g.). With lock states, you can have one synth (one preset, still) in one pattern set to totally different settings on its accessible parameters and switch between them with the pressing of a button. It also morphs between them, if you need it to.

Enjoy!

• S Righteous

Thanks for the info. I was playing with automation last night, but it's clearly for creating movement, and introducing changes, but not intended to snap a synth to a few new settings on beat one.

I will look at lock states, to be honest I didn't see much about it in the manual, so I will check the video mentioned.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru
    edited September 2022

If I were in your situation; I'd sample the patch and move on. Either a phrase or autosample.

You can use automation to change parameters. It's a lot easier to understand if looking at the software. I attempted to put it in a GIF, but the bottom line: Hold auto, find your new setting. Now keep holding auto and keep a finger on the knob while the pattern loops again. You've effectively changed the patch only for the new pattern. It will just bounce back to default when you go to the original (or a new) pattern. You don't have to actually move the knob to record automation; just keep touching the knob.

You're probably not going to want a note on the very start of the pattern if you do this because it's a choppy transition. Alternatively; get it in the ball park and then try to do something to make that transition smoother. If I found a use case to do this; I'd probably duplicate that first pattern and automate the very end so it goes smoothly into the second

Again - not something I'd do with instruments. I'd move to my computer if performance became an issue and I didn't want to commit to audio yet.

• Fugazi81
    Fugazi81 Member Posts: 58 Advisor
    edited September 2022

Lock States are very cool, but unfortunately not thought through to the end. 

You can modulate a lot of parameters up to the limit. 

You can create song sections with mutes and co 

But you can't save them in a pattern, unfortunately, at least not without an external sequencer or risky midi loopback tricks. 

That would be the perfect addition to the arrangement. 

I would call the concept Pattern+.

I can of course make a copy of the same synth on a second pad in my group, and edit that for the variety. But I assume doubling a synth doubles the CPU usage of the synth.

The synths on the Maschine+ consume different amounts of resources. 

I don't think they double consumption if you load more than one instance. 

I think it's closer to 3%-6% per additional instance. 

Depending on which substructure the synths are based on, 

e.g. FM8/Massive vs Monark/Prism (Reaktor) the result could be different.

• S Righteous

When I say "double consumption" I mean that if an instance of Massive adds 5% to the CPU usage, then duplicating that would add another 5%. I can't see it working any other way, unless NI has some magic going on under the hood re-using plug-in instances, but I don't see that happening, I see more CPU usage.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited September 2022

Duping in MAS increases the usage but does not necessarily 2x the CPU consumption, at least not in something like Massive, I duped the same thing 2x times and CPU usage looks the same, even at 4x the difference is not that big in the spikes, around 4%... how? I have no idea tbh, seems a bit illogical/counter-intuitive but often these technical things are.

I guess with more CPU-hungry plugs the usage would increase much more drastically.

• S Righteous

It is very odd, and seems inconsistent. But when I was doubling up synths for three synths, the CPU did increase a good bit, but not exactly as much as I expected. But the CPU has like a 10% give or take, sometimes it even spikes by 15% for no obvious reason.

I reduced those synths, and also edited their Massive patches on my computer, so that I could use Massive's reverb instead of Reverb on the group. All of this eventually did reduce 20% or so of the CPU. But again, what it shows is give or take 10% -ish.

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor

I believe the CPU meter on the plus is the load for the entire computer and not the software instance. Maschine+ is just a Raspberry Pi running Linux =). Just kidding, it’s definitely better than a Raspberry Pi but it’s still a stripped down Linux box running a special version of the Maschine software.

Hopefully, there’s not a bunch of other processes running in the background but I imagine there’s routine scanning, garbage cleanup, updates, etc. that are happening as part of the OS that are outside of the Maschine software. I usually only turn off airplane mode once a week just to fetch any new updates or whatever because I don’t want it constantly scanning or doing things on the network in the middle of a song.

• S Righteous

Yup, I also keep airport mode on.

I do sometimes get slowdowns. My CPU would be around 64%, but for some unknown reason things get sluggish where even hitting the stop button does not stop the playback for a while. I usually save everything, reboot and then it's fine. I do leave the thing on for days at a time though.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

You can also apply Automation in Step Mode which then becomes similar to Elektron parameter locks. I think this is also the preferred way for your intended purpose of changing a sound for a whole Pattern.

This is also shown in the recently published Maschine Tutorial video part 2 with Boris.

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

Yes, what @ozon said. It's often overlooked and very effective