Bouncing projects with Kontakt instruments between collaborators

danielson6
danielson6 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hi all,

Question about Kontakt instruments and collaboration...

Understandably, I don't have the same Kontakt instruments as all my collaborators. So when I need to open a collaborator's (Logic) project I will press Skip Missing or Abort Loading (side note - anyone knows the difference between these two options..?) and work without the libraries. The problem is though, that then when I save the project and send it back to my collaborator, the Kontakt instruments will not appear when he opens the project and he may have to re-open all instruments, which is annoying.

This may be a long shot but can anyone think of a solution to this? Any other plugin would work in this way (reopen on a computer as long as it is installed there) but Kontakt doesn't seem to play ball. Obviously we can bounce the MIDI to audio, but is there also a way to work on a single project between colloaborators without permanently losing the Kontakt instrument?

Thanks all - help much appreciated.

Daniel

Best Answer

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

Since I made my first records way back in the day of 1" & 2" multi-track tape machines and had to document the CR#P out of everything involved in a session, I would recommend that you spend some time learning to document tracks & instruments within Logic. Each track has a small notepad area, and each session/project has a general note area where this text can be input and saved for transfer. This is extremely useful when trying to send a project cross-platform, or to a different DAW. Especially when trying to send OMF files (which was a really great idea, but never achieved stardom by any means).

In addition to that (and I know that this document is already ancient by modern standards, but the film industry still demands adherence to it) this is the bible for transferring Audio/Midi projects between stations:

[https://pdfslide.net/documents/daw-guideline-long-version.html?page=1]

and is worth a look through.

Because, in your scenario... unless both studios have IDENTICAL installations, you will inherit problems, and time & patience is the only solution.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

Since I made my first records way back in the day of 1" & 2" multi-track tape machines and had to document the CR#P out of everything involved in a session, I would recommend that you spend some time learning to document tracks & instruments within Logic. Each track has a small notepad area, and each session/project has a general note area where this text can be input and saved for transfer. This is extremely useful when trying to send a project cross-platform, or to a different DAW. Especially when trying to send OMF files (which was a really great idea, but never achieved stardom by any means).

In addition to that (and I know that this document is already ancient by modern standards, but the film industry still demands adherence to it) this is the bible for transferring Audio/Midi projects between stations:

[https://pdfslide.net/documents/daw-guideline-long-version.html?page=1]

and is worth a look through.

Because, in your scenario... unless both studios have IDENTICAL installations, you will inherit problems, and time & patience is the only solution.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Isn't there a freeze function in Logic? I assume it should work that a freezed track would be an audio file on the destination system and would still be editable on the original system.