Some engines do work, and some not

michelkeijzers
michelkeijzers Member Posts: 22 Member
edited August 2022 in Reaktor

I am a complete newbie, installed NI Komplete Start today and playing a bit around.

In Reaktor, I have set the audio / midi preferences, and when playing my master keyboard I can get sounds from e.g. the TRK-01 Bass engine, e.g. TRK-01: "Bass.ens" or fromMikro Prism: "Mikro Prism.rkplr".

However, most engines don't work, like 'Reaktor Factory Selection R2": "Carbon 2.ens".

The screen shows the CARBON2 Reaktor Library engine (if it's called engine), but when playing my master keyboard no sound is audible. I made a picture of it, see below.

I have the same problem with many sounds in Komplete Kontrol itself, where I hear a 'preview' sound, but not when I play on the master keyboard, while for some other sounds I hear the correct sound. Sounds from the following engines do not seem to work:

• Play Series Sel.
  • Kinetic Treats
  • Reaktor Selection R2

The following engine works:

• Mikro Prism

What am I doing wrong?

Best Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

Some of the Reaktor Instruments are set to accept input only on Midi Channel 1, some can accept Omni (any midi Channel...like Mikro Prism) Make sure you KB is set to Transmit on Midi Channel 1. Unfortunately, the Reaktor Player that comes with Komplete Start does not allow you to modify the Midi Inpit channel of the Instruments so you KB needs to be set properly...This would also explain why Play Series and Kinetic Treats are not working since when you load an Instrument into Kontakt, it defaults to receive on Midi Channel 1.

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Answer ✓

For some ensembles you've to start the MIDI clock. In Reaktor standalone press the spacebar.

• michelkeijzers
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

Hello, thanks for your answer. Changing the MIDI channel to 1 immediately helped.

And I assume in case I like NI (so far I do), in the normal version (Komplete 13), I can assign also MIDI channel 2, as I want to use two keyboards in my rig for live gigs.

(I couldn't remove the 'Answer' tag).

• Blindeddie

Yes with the “Full” version of Reaktor you can assign the Midi input channel that you want to receive on. For Kontakt, with any version, you can assign any midi channel to an instrument be changing the Midi input channel in the instrument header…

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

Some of the Reaktor Instruments are set to accept input only on Midi Channel 1, some can accept Omni (any midi Channel...like Mikro Prism) Make sure you KB is set to Transmit on Midi Channel 1. Unfortunately, the Reaktor Player that comes with Komplete Start does not allow you to modify the Midi Inpit channel of the Instruments so you KB needs to be set properly...This would also explain why Play Series and Kinetic Treats are not working since when you load an Instrument into Kontakt, it defaults to receive on Midi Channel 1.

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Answer ✓

For some ensembles you've to start the MIDI clock. In Reaktor standalone press the spacebar.

• michelkeijzers
    edited August 2022

(changed to quotes)

• michelkeijzers

Hello, thanks for your answer. Changing the MIDI channel to 1 immediately helped.

And I assume in case I like NI (so far I do), in the normal version (Komplete 13), I can assign also MIDI channel 2, as I want to use two keyboards in my rig for live gigs.

(I couldn't remove the 'Answer' tag).

• michelkeijzers

Thanks for the answer. Some patches still did not work after changing to MIDI channel 1, so I guess that's because of the MIDI clock as you say.

• Blindeddie

Yes with the “Full” version of Reaktor you can assign the Midi input channel that you want to receive on. For Kontakt, with any version, you can assign any midi channel to an instrument be changing the Midi input channel in the instrument header…

• michelkeijzers

Thanks for this confirmation (for my testing purposes it doesn't matter if it works this way, but it's good to know when I will buy the complete version I can use both keyboards).

• OmniFace
    OmniFace Member Posts: 12 Member

To add to this a bit for others... I just spent way too long figuring out that some Reaktor synths have TWO layers. There's an ENSEMBLE layer and for some, there is also an INSTRUMENT layer. If the synth has both, you need to edit the MIDI Channel in the INSTRUMENT layer. Editing the Ensemble layer will do nothing.

For example, in Prism, Rounds, and Skanner XT, you can just go to Edit > Properties > Connect > MIDI IN > Channel and the synth will update.

But for synths like Razor, Spark, and Monark, you can need to go another level deep by going to Edit > Properties > Connect > Click somewhere in the synth until you see the word "Instrument" appear in the upper left under the search icon (instead of "ensemble" or "button" or "fader", etc) > THEN edit the MIDI IN > Channel and the synth will update.