Help required for a newbie

Defender90
Defender90 Member Posts: 7 Member

Firstly apologies as this thread is sort of a continuation of one that I wrongly started in the general forum.

I am about to replace my hardware synth and enter the world of software synths for the first time and would like some assistance with understanding the basics. I am looking to buy the KK61 keyboard and Komplete Ultimate 13 to use as a synth which will be used primarily for playing live at home rather than recording in a DAW.

1. Is the KK61 suitable to be used in this manner and what NI software do I need to get the instruments and sounds to appear on the screens of the KK61
  2. I need to be able to play the KK61 together with my Yamaha Genos arranger keyboard so that the sounds from both are directed to my powered monitor speakers, for example I would play a style on the Genos and a piano on the KK61. I currently use a Behringer USB mixer for this task to mix the sounds from the Genos and my hardware synth but both of these instruments have a volume control so I can adjust the output levels accordingly. If the NI software outputs the sounds via usb into my mixer how is the volume controlled because it doesn't look like there is a volume control on the KK61.
  3. Audio interfaces seem to have better sound quality than a mixer but could an audio interface be used to replace my mixer, be able to adjust individual volumes and output the mixed instrument sounds to my speakers. I have seen a video where the sound output from a DAW was sent to an audio interface and the jack plug outputs from that went to into a mixer which makes some sense to me, but is that overkill and would the correct audio interface do the same job.

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

The keyboard doesn't produce sound by itself, it only controls the Komplete Kontrol software. You need an audio interface to be the output for the Komplete Kontrol software or your DAW. You didn't specify what model was your USB mixer was, it may be that it can be used as an USB audio interface as well.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,005 Guru
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

sound volume from the KK61

There is no sound from the KK S61 as Jeremy stated. The sound will come from your computer audio interface. There's a volume control in the Komplete Kontrol software (which hosts the software synths).

I suggest you download the manual for the keyboard. It covers how to adjust volume.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

The keyboard doesn't produce sound by itself, it only controls the Komplete Kontrol software. You need an audio interface to be the output for the Komplete Kontrol software or your DAW. You didn't specify what model was your USB mixer was, it may be that it can be used as an USB audio interface as well.

• Defender90
    Defender90 Member Posts: 7 Member

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that the keyboard doesn't produce sound and needs software so does the KK61 or Komplete Ultimate come with the software needed to send output to an audio interface ?. My current mixer is a Behringer QX1002USB which I understand will accept a usb input from the software but it seems that you can only adjust the line levels for the jack plug inputs, so how would I control the sound volume from the KK61. I also have a spare Steinberg UR22 audio interface which I could output the software to and then output that to the QX1002USB via jack plugs and control the volume that way, would that work or is there a simpler way ?

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,005 Guru
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

sound volume from the KK61

There is no sound from the KK S61 as Jeremy stated. The sound will come from your computer audio interface. There's a volume control in the Komplete Kontrol software (which hosts the software synths).

I suggest you download the manual for the keyboard. It covers how to adjust volume.