How to Guide - Wrap your head around our new space ๐Ÿ”

Comments

• andiOak
    andiOak Member Posts: 9 Newcomer

BUG report for "Ask A Question" type posts:

When I "ask a question", then get an answer and then discuss that answer, there is a very important error in displaying the "chosen answer". It is moved to the top of the discussion, which is fine IF (and only IF) the answer also is still displayed in the conversation. You currently move the selected answer entirely to the top. Which makes reading that chosen answer for others completely impossible. Please change that, or thousands of answers will be taken out of their contexts and render this upgrade of the community a downgrade, I'm afraid.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited January 2022

Thanks for bringing this up. However, questions are generally short in term of thread length, as most of the comments are the troubleshooting process and eventually a solution, if there's any. If it turns out to be multiple comments suggesting different solutions, we would then turn the thread into a discussion.

But it's definitely a good point. We'll look into this if there's any way to duplicate the 'best answer' comment ๐Ÿ™

• andiOak
    andiOak Member Posts: 9 Newcomer
    edited January 2022

Thanks for looking into that!

The problem with an answer is that it most often begs for more questions. The chosen answer may be fine having on top, but only if it can be seen where it was answered in the conversation flow. My recent question/thread reads like gibberish due to this error. Have a look:

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/545/can-creator-tools-export-specific-volumes-from-all-zones/

Also, if the person that seeks the answer is not happy with the final solution after having found errors with it, the removal or change of the "accepted answer" needs to be able to be changed or modified. That's currently not possible. That will lead others to fall in the same trap of incorrect info. (not for my issue though, but generally speaking)

I realize you want to keep it simple, but this will many times impose more confusion and need for research on the readers than it needs to. After all, tech is complicated stuff. Being able to sort things chronologically would make it usable.

• Nico_NI
    edited January 2022

Is there a preference to have the threads in chronological order, like the old forum?

@medusa @soundtrax You can display the most recent posts using the search bar to sort the threads by 'newest'.

• Nico_NI

@andiOak Also, if the person that seeks the answer is not happy with the final solution after having found errors with it, the removal or change of the "accepted answer" needs to be able to be changed or modified. That's currently not possible. That will lead others to fall in the same trap of incorrect info. (not for my issue though, but generally speaking)

The author of the post should definitely be able to tweak this whenever needed, we'll investigate that. ๐Ÿง

• soundtrax
    soundtrax Member Posts: 14 Member

Thanks Nico, the problem is not the order of the threads(-titles). They seem to be sorted chronological anyway. I think we both have the problem that threads become almost unreadable when a "best answer" is chosen and the posts inside a thread are changing their positions.

• komthusr
    komthusr Member Posts: 41 Member

That's the problem, I can only see the 3 dots on the right, just when I finish posting. But I would like to edit my earlier post from a few days ago. How can I do that?

• Nico_NI

As rank Noise you can edit your post during one day after posting it.

You'll have to upgrade at the Sine level to unlock the unlimited edit time.

• medusa
    medusa Member Posts: 83 Helper

Even if there is a "best answer", which is a questionable concept a lot of the time, it'd be good to be able to read the forum threads in chronological order. Often ideas progress, people can learn from the conversation.

At the moment it's too confusing ... the thread is often lost.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin

Best answers only apply to question threads though not discussions. The idea is that if you ask a question, you need a solution and highlighting it makes it easier for the next user with the same question.

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 341 Guru

Are moderators subject to the code of conduct rules? Or is it more like, some of those rules don't apply to them? Like not signing posts or whatever

• Nico_NI
    edited March 2022

Do you have a specific example in mind?

The code of conduct applies to every member of the community no matter the rank/status.

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 341 Guru

I've had very bad experiences with mod power abuse in communities in which certain people were exempt from certain rules, intransparently and informally. Like, I get that I am opening myself up to ridicule here for, idk, snitching, or pettiness, or rulemongering, or whatever. I don't like that, I don't want that. I know I am making myself vulnerable to heightened scrutiny by mentioning something like this, especially when it's such a small and (in isolation) harmless thing like signing their posts. But that's only surface level, and I'm worried people will deliberately only see that and not the underlying question of power dynamics. Like, if mods get to do this this, which other things do they get to do, maybe to us, with no recourse? Is there a second list of which things it's okay to do for them despite the CoC explicitly asking not to do it, and what's on it? Do we go case by case, and then why have a CoC in the first place? I am super uncomfortable asking about it because I know some will not understand that and only see me complain someone signs their posts, and think me unreasonable for that, as if I'm just trying to be an ****** to get someone who's completely innocent into trouble just for the sake of it. I am so worried that this will be used against me somehow that I feel like I have to write a frickin dissertation here on how I don't actually think that the person signing their posts is abusing their power with that, and that it's the underlying social dynamic that makes it okay for some elements of the CoC to be ignored that gives me a bad vibe. I feel like I must make it exceedingly clear that I am not actually accusing anyone of being a bad actor here. Wow, writing this was stressful.

• rdalcroft
    rdalcroft Member Posts: 143 Helper

There is no option to delete a post, when you post, a box appears with garbled text, double posts are made every time you retry to post?