Hybrid Keys strange audio artefact below certain velocity

TW88
TW88 Member Posts: 7 Member
edited August 2022 in Kontakt

I've found a very strange problem when using Hybrid Keys when playing some notes below a certain velocity. This only happens with one sound patch which is Harmonic Keys, with the A/B blend dialled hard left, only using sound from Dynamic C7.

I get this problem whether I use Logic or standalone Kontakt.

If I shift the octave of my keyboard up or down, the problem moves up or down the physical midi keyboard but stays with the same note pitch. I can also replicate the problem by using the virtual keyboard in Logic, so it's not a hardware problem it seems.

The noise appears just after the note is played on notes D2, D#2 and E2. All the notes in the attached file are at the same velocity of 80. With a velocity of 81 or above the noise is no longer present.

What gives? Anyone noticed this?

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

I could reproduce the issue with a higher volume setting. It seems that the noise was picked up when recording these note samples. It seems only to happen from D2 to E2.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

I can definitely here what sounds like a drumstick click in your examples, but I was unable to reproduce the artifact here...I am on Win 10.

• TW88

I had reply from NI support a week or so ago, They've confirmed it's a bug, the dev team is aware of the issue, and will be dealt with will "as they see fit". Let's hope this does get dealt with as it makes the patch almost completely unusable. Often these things are never dealt with as is the case with some bugs in a photographic app I have so let's hope it gets done.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

I could reproduce the issue with a higher volume setting. It seems that the noise was picked up when recording these note samples. It seems only to happen from D2 to E2.

• TW88
    edited August 2022

Yep, it happens on those notes only, no matter what region of the physical or virtual keyboard you're on, and only with a velocity setting of 80 or below, that's the curve ball. It seems to be baked into the recording of those 3 notes but don't know what the velocity has to do with it showing up.

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

I put on the Headphones and turned it up as loud as my old ears could handle and I did here the artifact...