Preset volume component, MIDI Learn and value range (0-127)

amc
amc Member Posts: 5 Member
edited August 2022 in Guitar Rig & FX

I am using GR6 Pro with REAPER, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R and a Behringer MIDI footcontroller FCB1010

I would like to assign to one of the pedal expressions of the footcontroller the overall volume of the GR rack. So, the Preset Volume seems to be the preferred component for that. I use MIDI Learn on the volume knob / slide (Host Automation ID 257), step on the pedal, and that's it. But I need the pedal expression not to send a range of 0-127, but 50-127 (to avoid total silence when pedal is fully up).

In fact, I could achieve it in Guitar Rig 4 (the slider to control the range appeared somewhere in Options, so I could change the minimum). GR5 seems to have it as well. I can't find anything similar in GR6 Pro.

I tried to use a macro, but the volume knob/slide of the preset volume component doesn't react to macro assigment.

Any help, please, on how to do that? Thanks

Best Answers

• Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro
    Answer ✓

@amc

You can also add the volume component at the end of your effects chain, this can be controlled via a macro through the FCB.

Grtz,

Wouter

• Eddie_NI
    Eddie_NI Product Team Posts: 355 mod
    Answer ✓

The Volume component is definitely a good workaround!

And if you add it to the Global FX section, then it will even persist across preset changes, so you can always use it.

Answers

• Eddie_NI

Hi @amc,

the fact that you can't assign a Macro or Modifier to the preset volume is indeed a feature that is unfortunately still missing from Guitar Rig 6. We already have it on our to-do list to implement this.

The only workaround for now is to configure your MIDI controller to send only the range that you want. Sorry that there is no better way to do this now with Guitar Rig 6.

Best,

Eddie

• amc

Thanks

I will try to configure the FCB, using FCBManager

• Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro
    Answer ✓

@amc

You can also add the volume component at the end of your effects chain, this can be controlled via a macro through the FCB.

Grtz,

Wouter

• Eddie_NI
    Answer ✓

The Volume component is definitely a good workaround!

And if you add it to the Global FX section, then it will even persist across preset changes, so you can always use it.

• amc

Thanks, good points!. I will try. This way I can get a single "general" volume for all presets (persistent)

I suppose the output and input level sliders in the GR header cannot be MIDI controlled (there is no MIDI Learn option and no macro-assignment)

• amc

It works. Thanks.

Now I can see new questions relating MIDI, that I will write in a separate post.