Ensembles: How big is too big?

Chet Singer
Chet Singer Member Posts: 56 Advisor
edited August 2022 in Reaktor

I'm working on an ensemble that contains a lot of samples. When finished, if I don't split it up, it might end up as big as 1 GB. Is that too big? I can split it up if necessary. How big is too big?

Tagged:

Comments

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    edited August 2022

Chet, you can upload in UL up to 900 MB IMHO. But in the UL rules is marked no limitations:

Please use rar to compress your ensemble or if you don't own rar take first 7zip and then zip.

Why in that way? Compressing by 7zip isn't aloud in UL but here in the forum. There is a higher compression than by using zip.

• Chet Singer

Thanks. I'll zip it, and once compressed it will be smaller than 900MB.

I'm wondering how people feel about loading up an ensemble like that in Reaktor. Is that not a problem?

• arachnaut
    arachnaut Member Posts: 81 Advisor

I don't mind the large sample size. So I don't mind it inside Reaktor.

Doesn't everything have to reside in memory? If so it is memory size dependent,

I routinely have 25GB free, so that would start to make me uncomfortable if the samples get to be over 20GB.

• arachnaut
    edited August 2022

No, only the needed samples get loaded. I have an ensemble that is 2.6 TB with a 2.5 TB sample map that loads with no issues.

• arachnaut
    edited August 2022

BTW Sample modulator A is 1.7 TB; Reichatron is 934 GB. These are some other large popular ensembles.

The only real problem is download. Things this big need to be torrents or something like that that is restartable.

• Chet Singer

Wow. I had no idea some of them were so large. I'll continue on, then. Thanks!

• Michael O'Hagan
    Michael O'Hagan Member Posts: 93 Helper

Is this a typo or do you actually have a TERABYTE sized ensemble?

A terabyte reaktor file, how, what is it, WHAT KIND OF STOLEN ALIEN TECHNOLOGY CAN HANDLE THAT?

• Paule
    edited August 2022

Stremel is unpacked 1.8 GB

Strata MacGuffin is 1.2 GB

PAL twins is smaler 850 MB

• arachnaut

Oops, mega-mistake - yes the sizes are GB not TB.

Need to get new glasses.

• Paule

GB not TB

Same here: wrong multiply by 1,000

Need to get new glasses

Need a more cooler weather than a hot summer

Thanks Jim

• arachnaut

The 'locate' tool that I use has units of KB, so it is a bit awkward to convert: