What soundcard/audio mixer for Komplete Kontrol

Defender90
Defender90 Member Posts: 7 Member

Hi

I am considering adding a Komplete Kontrol midi keyboard to my Yamaha Genos and Montage.

I currently have a Behringer QX1002USB mixer which the two keyboards plug into via jack plugs and output to a M-Audio speaker setup. Will the QX1002USB also be suitable for the Komplete Kontrol ?.

Would the sound have to go into my PC first and then out to the QX1002USB via a usb cable or is there something simpler and much better that I should be using for sound quality. I only really use the mixer to get the two keyboards to output into the one set of speakers and never use any of the controls and effects.

Thanks

Best Answer

• Defender90
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the video link, very informative and well explained.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Since KK Keyboards do not generate sounds on their own (requires the KK Software), the KB would be connected to the computer, then the audio output of KK would be assigned to the QX100. Since the QX100 routes Computer audio directly to the main output bus, levels would need to be controlled via the KK app (or DAW if you are using one). Hope that helps...

• Defender90

Thanks for your reply.

Have I got this correct, pressing keys on the KK will send a signal down the usb cable to the PC and the KK software will then send the output through the usb cable connected to the QX1002.

Do you know if the Komplete audio 6 will do the same job as the QX1002.

• Blindeddie
    edited August 2022

Yes, you are correct, to eloborate..

Playing the KB sends Midi to KK, then the Audio of KK is sent out to the mixer.

The KA 6 will do basically the same thing but without all the QX1002 bells and Whistles! But be aware that 2 of the Inputs on the KA6 are Digital (SPDIF) inputs and do not accept standard analog signals. So unless one of your KBs has SPDIF Digital output, you really only have 4 inputs...

EDIT: I saw this vid a while back, had to hunt it down again, but might help clear some things up, or at least give you a bit more knowledge on Mixer/Audio Interface differences.

https://youtu.be/w-pZxqx1KPU

• Defender90
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the video link, very informative and well explained.

• Defender90

After reading up I am still confused and would appreciate further help.

I have decided that I will be selling my Montage and replace it with a KK which means that the audio interface or mixer would need to have inputs for my Genos keyboard via R+L 1/4" jacks and usb to receive the Komplete Ultimate sounds from the PC via KK and the mixed sounds going to the powered monitors via R+L 1/4" output jacks. I would also need the audio interface or mixer to send the Genos sounds to a DAW for recording.

Do I need an audio interface or usb mixer to achieve this as an audio interface appears to me to work as an external sound card and are advertised as for example 24-bit/192kHz whereas the mixer specifications do not seem to show sound processing information, so how are the KU sounds processed regarding quality.

As previously mentioned I am currently using a Behringer QX1002USB but this is quite large as far to many inputs for my needs and I do not need any effect buttons, so looking to replace, what are other KK owners using ?

• Blindeddie

Well the QX1002 is a mixer/ audio interface, so you have what you need to fit your scenario… but if size is a concern and you don’t need the QX effects etc. what you need is a 4 in 2 (or more) out audio interface. With that configuration, you could have 4 mono audio sources (or two stereo) plugged in to the interface and be able to mix that with the KK output from the Computer. I will make a suggestion as I just purchased an Audient EVO8 and at the price of $199 it is well worth it…

there are a bunch of review vids on YouTube and available through the Audient site… I suggest you take a look at those and the post back with any questions!!

• Defender90

Thanks for your reply.

The Audient EV08 looks a nice piece of kit but I have a couple of questions.

If no audio software is running on the PC will my Yamaha Genos keyboard (which is not a midi keyboard) connected to the EV08 line input jacks get output to my powered speakers connected to the EV08 output jacks. The reason I ask is that a video I watched for the Komplete Audio 6 said that the sounds are only sent to the headphone outputs for monitoring purposes unless it is connected to DAW software which routes the sound back to the KA6 via the usb cable. This would be no use to me as I often just want to play the Genos without having to load up any software on my PC.

You say that the QX1002USB is a mixer/audio device but I am struggling to understand where for example the 24-bit/96kHz sample rate fits in as this is mentioned in audio interface specs but not for a mixer. What does the 24-bit/96kHz sample rate do and how is the sound sent to the QX1002 handled regarding quality as the sound is being sent from a usb cable on the PC and not from a sound card.

Hope my ignorance makes sense.

• Blindeddie

The EVO 8 sends direct signal to the speaker and headphone outs, so yes, you will be able to hear any inputs on the speakers.

The 24 bit/96K sample rate refers to the quality/precision of the sound recorded on the computer and output by any software. Over the USB, sound is sent digitally, then converted to Analog for playback. The difference is barely noticeable…a sound card does the same thing… Converts digital to analog. And vice versa for recording…

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 254 Pro

As far as a mixer is concerned, I suggest giving the Presonus Faderport 8 a good hard look. Small footprint and has midi mode whereby you can map instrument settings to the faders. And if you are by chance familiar with the workflow of Christian Henson from Spitfire Audio, he's used various fader kit for mixing dynamics and expression on the fly or post. Faderport 8 plays that role PERFECTLY as well and so you really kill many birds with one stone with this piece of kit.