Cremona Quartet: trills

Marcabru
Marcabru Member Posts: 6 Member
edited August 2022 in Kontakt

I'm trying to trigger trills from Dorico. I can get major-2nd trills easily enough, but I cannot get minor-2nd trills. Even manually adjusting the value in the Interval Vel: window makes no difference. (Who even thought using velocity was a good idea?)

I used MIDI learn to set it to receive cc8, and it seems to be receiving that data via the Dorico expression map, but it still isn't switching. Any thoughts?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    Answer ✓

Right click on the <Interval Vel:> and assign a CC# or rotary control to it; less than 64 is minor, more than 64 is major (depending on the scale being used obviously). If your DAW has Articulation (or Expression) maps, you can use that, or assign any empty note to a keyswitch, one for 0, one for 127.

The best way to control the volume or dynamics of the passage is with the (default) MOD wheel.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    edited August 2022

• Trill: Two notes are alternated in quick succession either on a half note or whole note range.

• Speed: Adjusts the speed in which the notes are alternating. • Interval Vel: Sets the threshold value where the trill range changes from half note to whole note. The value implicates the velocity of the MIDI notes played on the DAW or with a MIDI controller. For example, if the value is set at 64, MIDI notes below this velocity will trigger a half note trill. MIDI notes played at velocity higher than 64 will trigger a whole note trill.

• Legato Selector: Switches between Portamento and Rebow legato transitions.

Works consistently on both violins in the quartet for me.

If you are trying to get the instrument to 'write' a trill INTO Dorico, it won't, as that expression is part of the script inside Kontact, and doesn't actually transmit the notes out via MIDI. (If I understand your query)

• Marcabru
    Marcabru Member Posts: 6 Member

Um thanks, I have already read the manual.

My mistake is trying to use the learnt cc to trigger major/minor trills, when all I'm doing is moving the threshold.

As far as I can tell, the instruments respond to velocity as well as cc1. If I'm playing a quiet passage and I want a major trill, I do what?

• Brad Yost
    Answer ✓

Right click on the <Interval Vel:> and assign a CC# or rotary control to it; less than 64 is minor, more than 64 is major (depending on the scale being used obviously). If your DAW has Articulation (or Expression) maps, you can use that, or assign any empty note to a keyswitch, one for 0, one for 127.

The best way to control the volume or dynamics of the passage is with the (default) MOD wheel.