How do I get Maschine + to sync to djm900nxs2 mixer without a computer?

NilesMusic
NilesMusic Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

Hey all,

I am having an issue where I can receive the midi clock and see it synced, slightly moving decimal values around the bpm on the djm900 which is all fine. Once synced, however, the Maschine won't play. Play/loop won't start and trying the two different midi configs on 900 doesn't change anything. I have midi to receive all from djm and it's following fine when I move the bpms around on 900. Only issue is it won't play.

Also, I am trying to avoid a computer as a sync solution since this is my live setup and would like to keep gear at a minimum.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 997 Guru

Why are you trying to sync at all? What is there to be synced? Is there any other equipment involved, other than a groovebox/sampler and a DJ mixer?

Also your post is not exactly on which way round you've got things connected. I'd assume M+ is sending to the DJM.

• NilesMusic

I want the djm900 clock controlling the Maschine clock. I can beat match the tempos and bring in Maschine but I end up having to nudge a good bit on the cdj even if bpms are synced exact. I understand I can go this route but would prefer to not have to nudge every 20 seconds and just be able to focus on my Maschine.

I realize I didn't say the whole setup sorry!

The only equipment is the djm900, cdj3000s, and maschine plus and jam. The djm900 picks up tempo from cdjs and has a midi functionality to send midi out. I have tried both djm midi settings 'button' and 'trigger' and neither will allow the Maschine to play. Again, I can see the djm in my Maschine midi and can sync it to where I see the Maschine clock change. But when active on receive the Maschine won't actually play-will only see the bpm synced.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,319 mod

@NilesMusic How do you connect the djm900 to the Maschine Plus? With a MIDI cable ? Then it should look like this:

Is it the same on your setup ? You say that the djm900 are synced to the cdj, is it also with a MIDI cable? Don't cdjs have the ability to sync with Ableton Link? Then you could sync Maschine Plus directly to the cdjs, not sure if djm 900 have this possibility.

• awol9000
    awol9000 Member Posts: 69 Advisor
    edited August 2022

If Maschine is set to receive midi clock then it's a slave and it's transport buttons are disabled. It is waiting to receive a start/stop command from the master sequencer. I'm guessing your cdjs don't sent out that message.

• NilesMusic

This is what im thinking as well but the djm900 has two "midi modes" with 'button' and 'trigger' and im guessing trigger would be the start stop command. That being said, I haven't been able to get either mode to get Maschine to start..

• NilesMusic

I wish Ableton link was possible but cdjs don't have wifi/link capabilities (missed opportunity w pioneer). There is no midi-pin out only usb supplying midi on the djm900. I have synced it on the panel in the pic you sent fine that's not my issue. The only issue I have is getting it to actually start playing once synced. Again, djm900 is showing up in my Maschine midi fine!!! It just won't actually play when receiving midi from djm900.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,319 mod

@NilesMusic I'm afraid that @awol9000 is right, for the Maschine to start it will need a MIDI start message, some transport/song information. I'm not sure that the djm900 offers that. It might be something for the Pioneer forum or resources.

• PK The DJ

This thread makes me chuckle. It's no use Pioneer being the "industry standard" if they can't get something like this right. Using Denon Prime it's simple - enable Ableton Link.

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro
    Answer ✓

a possible workaround if you have access to a ipad is using the application called "midi link sync" essentially converts a midi signal and syncs with A-link

so if your setup has midi out.. that will go to the ipad or iphone and then transmit the A-link wirelessly..

again this is a "possible" workaround... trial and error

• NilesMusic

After many unforeseen issues day of show over the years, i'm trying to avoid the computer aspect live. My plan is to have Maschine + filling that role. I may be able to find a small hardware device that receives and sends global commands via midi that's compatible with pioneer sync. I saw the new DJMv-10 has a midi start/stop but for 3500$ im gonna pass 🙃

I have been getting the transitions between maschine and cdjs pretty nice just beat matching and nudging so I may just try to run it that way till the v10 is in range.

• PK The DJ

Unlike Ableton Link (which is used in/on over 200 products) I'm pretty sure the Pioneer system is closed to anyone/anything except Pioneer...

Having said that, it's a pity you won't consider a computer as this may be of use:- https://github.com/Deep-Symmetry/beat-link-trigger

From personal experience I find the Maschine+ pretty accurate if set to the same BPM as a playing track, without using any kind of sync.