Kontakt library sizes

JustAnotherUSer
JustAnotherUSer Member Posts: 20 Member

I'm in the process of phasing out my old Kontakt 4 and using Kontakt 6. I'm wondering about the size differences I see between the libraries for the two versions.

Kontakt 4 Library: 42.9 GB, with 53,360 files and 2111 folders.

Kontakt Factory Library (K6): 23.3 GB, with 1309 files and 192 folders.

Not sure how to interpret this. Did the number of instruments in K6 get smaller? Is more file compression being used? I see that the new K6 library has 15 files with nkx extensions, most of them just under 2Gb each, and that don't have corresponding files in the K4 library? Are these larger files somehow related to the overall size reduction?

I guess my underlying assumption is that libraries would get larger over time. But maybe a "larger" library might not necessarily require larger file sizes...?

Would like to better understand what I'm seeing here. Thank you.

Best Answer

• JustAnotherUSer
    Answer ✓

Thank you, Brad, again! That is good to know.

Nice to know they could scale down the size of the library; if only they'd finally scale up the nearly unusable UI the library gets played through.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

From a post in the old forum by a moderator:

"K6 factory library is identical to K4 factory library, the only difference is that all samples are losslessly compressed so they take about half the space."

• JustAnotherUSer
    Answer ✓

Thank you, Brad, again! That is good to know.

Nice to know they could scale down the size of the library; if only they'd finally scale up the nearly unusable UI the library gets played through.

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 276 Pro

Just bear in mind before you bin your K4 instruments that in the K6 library the samples are now encrypted so you can't edit them. And if space is an issue you can always save K4 instruments compressing the samples yourself.