How to record automation knob, KK Protools?

JBiT
JBiT Member Posts: 7 Member
edited August 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi

How to record automation knob whis S88MK2-> Komplete Kontrol-> Protools 2022? plz

Best Answer

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

Create a separate MIDI track and an instrument track with KK/loaded instance as input for both.

With both in record, the midi will go to the midi track, the audio from the VSTi will go to the audio track and the rotary controllers should be recorded as automation [automation record] in the instrument track.

If that is the case in your version of PT, then you will know how to do it in the future. (Drop the instrument track into "automation record".)

The rotary controllers act on the VSTi script and aren't actually putting out midi data per se, but NRPN data. Unless PT has changed something this should work in PT2021/10 and later. Back in 2014 it was really convoluted.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

What knob?

• JesterMgee

Press record in PT, twist em?

• JBiT

I use komplet kontrol soft, when move knob, plugin move ok, but move don't live record

• JesterMgee

How do you usually record automation from other plugins (not in Komplete Kontrol) and your previous MIDI controller? Or have you never recorded automation before?

I don't use Pro Tools but in Ableton Live literally Press record and whatever I move on the keyboard is auto-learned and recorded which is how I would expect something like PT should work especially since it costs a damn fortune to even use it.

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

Create a separate MIDI track and an instrument track with KK/loaded instance as input for both.

With both in record, the midi will go to the midi track, the audio from the VSTi will go to the audio track and the rotary controllers should be recorded as automation [automation record] in the instrument track.

If that is the case in your version of PT, then you will know how to do it in the future. (Drop the instrument track into "automation record".)

The rotary controllers act on the VSTi script and aren't actually putting out midi data per se, but NRPN data. Unless PT has changed something this should work in PT2021/10 and later. Back in 2014 it was really convoluted.

• JBiT

Thanks I try it :p (I have avid subscrib, always protools last version)

I'm mixman I using protools for my work, all automation in effect plugin make whis mousse in protools all parametre ok.

• JBiT

Perfect, thanks it's ok on intrument track (just add automation in windows plugin kk)