Why no real-time stretch in the sampler?

enz0
enz0 Member Posts: 45 Advisor
edited August 2022 in Maschine

here’s my situation:

• chopped a sample exactly on the transients
  • sequenced chops
  • some chops are short due to the original sample having swing/human error

What do people do in this situation? Best thing i can think of is guess a percentage to stretch and hope that’s it when you apply…undo and repeat until you get what you want.

It just seems like a no brainer to add real time stretching to the sampler since it’s already in the audio module

Is this left out intentionally to encourage a certain workflow? Am i missing something? I’m interested in how others would approach this situation within Maschine (I’m aware you can do this in daws and Serato sample)

Perhaps Maschine just isn’t for me since this feature is so critical to the music i make - but it’s a shame because i love the workflow and mostly everything else about it. I am not one of those “Maschine should be a whole daw” people either!

Tagged:

Comments

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

Would it be feasible to stretch the Sample before slicing to have your slices always overlap slightly?

• enz0
    enz0 Member Posts: 45 Advisor

that works in some cases but in my situation, some slices just need to be stretched slightly more in order for things to line up cleanly

The approach you mentioned would just create the inverse of the same problem; some slices would be too long while others are perfectly timed

• Jean Voyage
    Jean Voyage Member Posts: 36 Helper
    edited August 2022

It’s a good question and I wonder, too, why the sampler in Machine is so early 2000s. It was the first thing that you got with Maschine 1.0 and it has barely changed since then.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

@Enzo77

What do people do in this situation? Best thing i can think of is guess a percentage to stretch and hope that’s it when you apply…undo and repeat until you get what you want.

Personally, I increase the BPM a bit enough that the space/silence of the sorter slices became unnoticeable, this works in most cases for me as finishing a Slice a tiny bit early usually never causes issues, but this will depend a lot on how you slice up things I guess.

I avoid using the offline/destructive time-stretch as it sounds like garbage to me.

It just seems like a no brainer to add real time stretching to the sampler since it’s already in the audio module

Is this left out intentionally to encourage a certain workflow? Am i missing something? I’m interested in how others would approach this situation within Maschine (I’m aware you can do this in daws and Serato sample)

Yep, people have been asking for many years but NI has other priorities, if it's still not here while other things are released then it's intentional, I don't think it's to force any workflow, they simply don't consider this important. 🤷‍♂️

When my above solution does not work then I use either Ableton or Serato Sample.