no Midi input from my M32 in Maschine.

Proffboff
Proffboff Member Posts: 9 Member
edited August 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I first purchased my Native Instruments Kit, Maschine Studio, Maschine Jam, Audio 1, Komplete M32 midi keyboard and Dell Inspiron 15 3000 ( AMD Ryzen 5, 8gb Ram, 256GB internal hd-dsk, 512GB external hd-dsk for Samples, VST's and software.

I was able to use my keyboard straight out of the box within Maschine 2.15.2, having installed all the software that came with my kit, Komplete Control 2.7.2 etc.. I had a spell at my mothers recently with the kit after she had a hip replacement to help her out but since returning home, although Maschine 2.15.2 can see my keyboard, I can select it as hardware, as a midi input/output and can see all the usual options you would see, it however does not receive input from the keyboard.

I can use it with Komplete Control and with Ableton Live 11, so it is not a hardware issue, is there something that I am missing? Any ideas why it will not work with Maschine 2.15.2?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Can you browse groups or instruments, load them from the M32? Do the knobs have any effect on the loaded preset? Can you post a screenshot of your MIDI inputs in the Maschine software?

• Proffboff

Hello Jeremy. I can change the MIDI Inputs and add the keyboard as an input and I am able to use the keyboard to search through groups and instruments as well as select any of them, I did see that the Maschine Jam was selected as the Hardware preference even though it was not attached and have corrected that, I have also made sure that I have saved templates for the Maschine Studio, Jam and Komplete M32 incase that has some bearing on it. Maschine does not seem to be receiving any midi data from the keyboards Keyboard, even though everything else works fine.

• Jeremy_NI

Have you tried a different USB cable? If you only connect the M32, no other devices, still no midi ? Make sure you run Maschine as administrator: How to Run a Program as an Administrator

• Proffboff

I have tried 4 different midi leads and tried it on its own but there appears to be no input from the keybed, i have even tried putting the keybed, knobs and pedal on seperate midi channels to see if that made a difference but still have the same issue.

Not tried using it as administrator as not needed to in the past, but will get back to you, once ive been able to try it.

• Jeremy_NI

@Proffboff I'm a bit confused, you mention Midi leads but the M32 only has USB, could you post a screenshots of your MIDI inputs in the Maschine software preferences?

• Proffboff

Sorry Jeremy. You are right, it is a usb lead. I have discovered that not only can I not use the M32 keyboard with Maschine but you cannot record anything other then drums, so it sounds like a Maschine 2 issue rather than M32 issue. Is there a way to remove changes to Maschine 2 setup and return them to default settings. i did have my Maschine Studio, Maschine Jam, M32 keyboard and Audio 1 connected via 2 usb3 inputs and it seems that in doing this, I am now not able to use the M32 keyboard with Maschine and record any instruments other than drum kits. I tried using the Maschine Studio as a VST within Ableton and the M32 keyboard. I need to make changes to Ableton in order to adjust settings with Ableton but have discovered that the issue with Maschine 2.15.2.2 rv2 is deeper than not being able to use my keyboard within it.

• Proffboff

Oh sorry nearly forgot to mention than I have setup Maschine to run with Administrator settings applied and that made no difference.

• Jeremy_NI

Without screenshots or visual cues it will be difficult to troubleshoot your issue. Can you post screenshots of your MIDI preferences in Maschine when connecting only the M32, it should look something like this:

You mention that you can only record drums, do you mean that you can't play or record instruments, like Massive or Kontakt libraries but only drum kits ? What instruments are you trying to record exactly ?

If you open the Komplete Kontrol application, is everything functional there?

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

@Proffboff let us know if you have news ✍️

• Proffboff

Hello Jeremy.

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your message.

With regards to Maschine, I can create Drum Beats fine, in either the stand alone software or VST version of Maschine, I can search through all other non drum related sounds, instruments and samples. However, if I add an instrument, I am not then able to manually add notes or use any midi keyboard to play and record the notes within Maschine.

With regards to Komplete Kontrol, I can search through, sounds, instruments and samples and add them, but again, I am not able to record, any notes, within Komplete Kontrol, or the VST version.

I can add both as VST within Ableton Live 11 Trial and have an intermittent issue with the VST crashing Ableton Live 11.

I do not have access to another DAW to see, if I have the same issues with another DAW, although if required, I will install a trial version of another DAW, to see if I encounter the same issues within that DAW.

It seems both weird and frustrating that I was previously able to use Maschine 2 DAW as my go to music production DAW and did not require the use of another software.

I have completely removed Maschine and Komplete Kontrol from my laptop, restarted windows, made sure there was no remnants of them on my laptop and then restalled them and immediately had the same issues after a clean install.

Any ideas or suggestions on what the issue, could possibly be, would be greatly appreciated.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited August 2022

@Proffboff For troubleshooting, it would really help if you posted screenshots of your MIDI preferences for both the Maschine software and the Komplete Kontrol standalone software.

Without any software running you can also check monitoring the MIDI output of the M32 like this: How to Monitor the Input of a MIDI Controller

Is there activity when you play the keys ?

• Proffboff

I will post some screen shots for diagnostic, however I have sold some of my equipment and now have only Native instruments A49 keyboard, this means I have far less equipment using the USB ports of my laptop. I plan to provide multiple screen shots to enable, easier analysis to hopefully enable a better resolution to the issues that I have facing.

• Proffboff

Hello Jeremy.

I installed Midi OX.

Setting Komplete A49 keyboard as a Midi nput and Komplete Kontrol as Midi output, I was able to view the Midi information when a key was pressed, or the mod wheels.

Setting Komplete A49 keyboard as a Midi Input within Maschine, with no assigned output(s). I was not able see any Midi information from the Komplete A49 keyboard and not able to set Maschine as a Midi output within Midi-OX.

The keyboard started to turn off at random times, requiring me to remove and reconnect the keyboard to the usb port on my laptop.

I also observed a delay of around .7 of a second between a key being pressed and then the selected instrument sounding out.

The keyboard works fine with Ableton live 11 trial.

Due to the issues with I have had, I very reluctantly return the instruments to the store where I purchased them.

I hope this is of use to someone.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,534 Expert

Basically of zero use to anyone!

you never posted the requested screenshots and it sounded like a basic failure to set the midi input as enabled to me. All we really learned in this case is if you hit a problem and can’t solve it, give up and return your gear which is not good advice at all. My suggestion to others, if you hit an issue and want help from the experts, invest your time a little, answer their questions and try and reply in a timely manner and it may save you giving up on something very simple.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@Proffboff Sorry to hear that, but without more information from your side we couldn't help out. We asked screenshots from day one. You could also have contacted our support agents here if you had preferred a more private conversation: http://bit.ly/NIsupport_KKontrol