Is this a new midi mapping feature?

Wyley
Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
edited February 27 in Mapping Traktor

I was going over some of my mappings and I noticed that two commands can be mapped to one line like this.

The cc + cc is what I'm interested in as I have never seen this before. This occurs when mapping a touch sensitive control. I can already think of many things I can do with something like this if I can recreate it with other controls.

Anybody Know what this is?

Best Answer

• dj_estrela
    dj_estrela Member Posts: 158 Pro
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Midi send 7 bit messages. It ranges from 1 to 127.

This is about 14-bit messages, Where you combine 2 messages.

Think like this: the first one is like the integer part, and the second one is like an OPTIONAL fractional part.

By being optional, this is backwards compatible to older gear.

----

Traktor supports the two modes. That's why you should move the knob slowly to let it catch the 2 messages back to back in a row = 14 bit mode.

----

PS: this is all about RECEIVING 14 bit in traktor.

But the same applies to sending as well. traktor is not able to send 14 bit. This is crucial for the needle turn in the ddj-1000.

This was requested years ago.

Solution: I've implemented this in BOME instead

Answers

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Some jogwheels worked that way (Ns7 afaik but not sure)

Maybe since s4mk3 and new motorized platters are finally arriving to Traktor… NI is opening that path?

• Wyley

Its weird trying to map those knobs. In learn mode It bounces from one cc to another and then both at the same time when touching it.

Since you mentioned motorized platters I'm gonna revisit mapping my platter and see what happens when I turn it on.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,621 mod
    edited January 2022

I believe they join multiple CC messages for greater fader resolution.

o......CC1......127 + 0.......CC2.......127

The touch sensitivity is addressed by different note/CC message if I remember correctly. It has been a while since I mapped AMX.

And also the update by Pedro here:

https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/9323

• Wyley
    edited January 2022

I understand the controller part but what I don't understand is the part on how Traktor picks it up. What I see from the Traktor side is that if it can pick up 2 commands in one line from the amx then how can I mimic this with other controls on other controllers? Example: if I press 2 buttons at the same time Traktor will recognize one or the other not both.

I saw @dj_estrela's mapping awhile back and big up for his work on controllers. But it's a little too much going on for me so I made myself a more basic one, actually more like and add on to my S2mk2 for decks C+D where it's used as live inputs for external gear just for fun. I actually bought the amx specifically for DJPP on my iPad for playing at bars.

• Aquadics
    Aquadics Member Posts: 59 Helper

LSB / MSB ?

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

AFAIR these two CC related to platter was to get more resolution too.

It could be totally unrelated but that come to my mind when you said it and maybe NI finally will let implement platter control from midi/HID in more open way…?

• Wyley

Msb + Lsb + Asc11 is what you are looking for.

These are mostly used via led out from Traktor to put characters on a screen in a certain position.

• dj_estrela
    dj_estrela Member Posts: 158 Pro
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Midi send 7 bit messages. It ranges from 1 to 127.

This is about 14-bit messages, Where you combine 2 messages.

Think like this: the first one is like the integer part, and the second one is like an OPTIONAL fractional part.

By being optional, this is backwards compatible to older gear.

----

Traktor supports the two modes. That's why you should move the knob slowly to let it catch the 2 messages back to back in a row = 14 bit mode.

----

PS: this is all about RECEIVING 14 bit in traktor.

But the same applies to sending as well. traktor is not able to send 14 bit. This is crucial for the needle turn in the ddj-1000.

This was requested years ago.

Solution: I've implemented this in BOME instead

• Wyley

"Traktor supports the two modes. That's why you should move the knob slowly to let it catch the 2 messages back to back in a row = 14 bit mode."

Ok I get it now. I've been out of the mapping game for a long time so this looked like something new to me but it's old news. lol. Thanks.

• Wyley

Thank you for reminding me of this blast from the past.