[East Asia] Bug? Some instruments produce sounds outside of the main playing range

Monochrome
Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert
edited August 2022 in Kontakt

I've discovered some strangeness in several instruments and wonder if it's just me? Technical limitations? Accidental oversights while creating the product?

For info sake: Latest Kontakt 6, using Kontakt's own virtual keyboard. Nothing is customized/edited.

Melodic China : Pipa

The two (non color-coded) keys between the 'Main Playing Range' and the 'Reso FX' play different sounds depending on which 'Root' you select. In the example above, 'Root' set to 'A' plays a sound on the key marked in red. The sound that's playing is the same that I've marked in yellow. This happens in all the factory-provided Snapshots.

Melodic Japan : Shamisen

The four (non color-coded) keys between the 'Main Playing Range' and the 'LH Pizz' play different sounds depending on which 'Root' you select. In the example above, 'Root' set to 'C' (default) plays sounds on the keys marked in red. The sounds that are playing are the same that I've marked in yellow. This happens in all the factory-provided Snapshots. Enabling 'Extend' fixes it.

'Kuro no Sakura' and 'Travelogue' have another oddity in which the first black (non color-coded) sharp key plays a unique sound not heard on any of the other keys, but... it's not color-coded?

Melodic Korea : Ajaeng

The first two (non color-coded) keys between the 'Main Playing Range' and the 'Pizz' play different sounds depending on which 'Root' you select. In the example above, 'Root' set to 'A♭' plays sounds on the keys marked in red. The sounds that are playing are likely the same that I've marked in yellow. This happens in all the factory-provided Snapshots.

Melodic Korea : Gayageum

Now, this is a wild one! Some of the (non color-coded) keys between the 'Main Playing Range' and the 'Reso FX' play different sounds depending on which 'Root' you select. In the example above, 'Root' is set to 'G' (default). The A-B-C lines denote keys that are playing the same sound. This happens in all the factory-provided Snapshots. Enabling 'Extend' fixes it.

There may be more oddities that I missed (e.g. I haven't tested the Percussions), but I feel like the post is long enough already ^^

Tagged:

Comments

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro

Hi Monochrome!

As promised (in private) I took a lot at this thread and something immediately puzzles me:

My keyboard looks nothing like yours? Have you installed all updates or maybe you changed some settings or such?

Because I tried but... at this time I can't get my fingers behind this (notice your 3 blue keys whereas mine only has 2?)

• Monochrome
    edited August 2022

@ShelLuser Hey 🙂 I was on Octave +1 for this, whereas you're on +2. That's why.

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro

Attempt #2... sorry about the confusion on my part earlier, we're in the middle of a heatwave over here right now and that definitely has its effects on me. 🥵

I can fully reproduce your discovery with the Pipa. Same with the Shamisen, so from here on I am going to assume that the others behave in the same way.

It's an oddity at best, weird but I wouldn't get too much bothered with it since it's also easily avoided. However, this isn't you, it's definitely something by design.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod
    edited August 2022

I could also reproduce the issue, some grey notes actually produce sounds. I'm trying to get more info on that. as @ShelLuser said it's a rather minor cosmetic issue but thanks @Monochrome for bringing it up!

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod
    edited August 2022

Little update! The responsible team acknowledged it and put it in their backlog. They were impressed by the report btw @Monochrome 😉

• Monochrome

Thank you, @ShelLuser (the heatwave... I feel you!) and @Jeremy_NI, for confirming this!

You both are right - it's something minor. Still, I thought it might be worth reporting nonetheless 🙂

And Jeremy, I honestly just tried my best explaining and showing what I observed 😄 I hope it all made sense! Happy to hear that it left an impression on the team 😎