Anyone know why ASIO4all control panel isn't working in Komplete Kontrol?

Ultramanmeman4
Ultramanmeman4 Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi,

I have been using Komplete Kontrol to play with VSTs for a while, including performing, and have had no trouble so far with ASIO4all or Focusrite.

However I recently tried to open up the ASIO control panel, only for it to be inaccessible, in a white screen that I can't switch tabs to or click on, or interact with in any way. I've attached a picture.

I've tried it in Ableton, and it's completely fine, it's just having trouble in Komplete Kontrol for some reason.

I'd hugely appreciate any advice, thanks so much.

Best Answers

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,003 Guru
    Answer ✓

if you mean selecting one of the Focusrite options

No - why would I mean that, considering I said "built in audio interface", and you told me you were using sound "straight out of the laptop"?

I'm using my onboard Realtek audio for Komplete Kontrol, Maschine and lots of other audio software here, with no issues. No ASIO4ALL in sight.

FYI it's not an ASIO driver anyway, it's a piggyback driver that sits on top of the default Windows WDM driver so that software which only outputs to ASIO devices can be used with onboard audio.

Software like that is a thing of the past. DAWs (etc) now all work just fine without requiring ASIO.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

@Ultramanmeman4 This white panel can come up when one of the chosen ASIO interfaces is not connected. Anyway, as suggested by other users here, you should definitely use the ASIO driver of your Focusrite interface for Komplete Kontrol.

Answers

• PK The DJ

Er......if you've got Focusrite kit, why on earth are you using ASIO4ALL???

• Ultramanmeman4

I’m away from my usual set up rn, using sound straight out the laptop

• PK The DJ

So why not just use the driver for the built in audio interface?

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert

Usually because the default windows WASAPI driver is terrible for latency and performance.

However I recently tried to open up the ASIO control panel, only for it to be inaccessible, in a white screen that I can't switch tabs to or click on, or interact with in any way. I've attached a picture.

Assuming you are using the "Open Control Panel" button within KK have you simply tried to open it directly from your start menu/control panel?

• Ultramanmeman4

As @JesterMgee said, WASAPI isn't great. But if you mean selecting one of the Focusrite options from the device dropdown menu, that doesn't change anything, I assume because there's no interface detected. The device stays as asio4all v2.

• Ultramanmeman4

I've tried opening it from the hidden icons panel on the taskbar, with the same result. I can't find it in the start menu, and I'm not sure where to look in the control panel?

• JesterMgee

I guess if the control panel doesn't open when launched directly it's not really related to Komplete? Not sure as I havent used A4A in 20 years

• Ultramanmeman4

The thing is it works fine on Ableton - either through the taskbar or through Ableton preferences, It's on Komplete where the window gets funky.

Oh well, WASAPI it is until I'm back home!

• PK The DJ
    Answer ✓

if you mean selecting one of the Focusrite options

No - why would I mean that, considering I said "built in audio interface", and you told me you were using sound "straight out of the laptop"?

I'm using my onboard Realtek audio for Komplete Kontrol, Maschine and lots of other audio software here, with no issues. No ASIO4ALL in sight.

FYI it's not an ASIO driver anyway, it's a piggyback driver that sits on top of the default Windows WDM driver so that software which only outputs to ASIO devices can be used with onboard audio.

Software like that is a thing of the past. DAWs (etc) now all work just fine without requiring ASIO.

• JesterMgee

DAWs (etc) now all work just fine without requiring ASIO.

Not exactly.

Depends on the quality of the audio interface, what else is installed on the system, the buffer settings etc. It's well known the windows mixer is not designed for stable "real-time" audio performance and either suffers from poor performance or stutters when using a DAW with virtual instruments. Playing audio is always fine (so most DJ software or audio/video players are fine) but when the machine has to calculate synthesis and also produce audio, windows mixer places less priority on the realtime performance of audio so it can suffer greatly.

ASIO4ALL was a hack solution that bypasses the windows mixer completely in the exact same way that official drivers do, the issue with A4A is the fact it has to work with a wide variety of devices it has no knowledge about so it can itself be hit and miss.

I have never had a good experience with A4A myself back in the day, I just invested in a small USB card for mobile and one for home but now I only use Serato on my laptop (which has asio via my NS7III anyway) otherwise if I wanted a portable DAW without hassle i'd use my macbook over a Windows PC (personally) just because it's a little more forgiving in that respect.

• PK The DJ

What I mean is modern DAWs (etc) are no longer "ASIO only". They work with any onboard audio.

• JesterMgee

Daws have always allowed selection of your audio driver/s be it ASIO, WASAPI, Direct Audio, Waveout or even in the old school days Vorbis or Sound Blaster so it's not something that "modern daws" are any different about. However "works" is a pretty loose term, sure it can be selected and in some cases some sound will come out but often it rarely works smoothly especially given the overbloated project setups people seem to need these days.

End of the day with all of that aside, ideally on Windows you want a decent audio interface with ASIO drivers designed for that interface for the best result. If you decide to use A4A or the windows default drivers, prepare for headaches and lost productivity.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

@Ultramanmeman4 This white panel can come up when one of the chosen ASIO interfaces is not connected. Anyway, as suggested by other users here, you should definitely use the ASIO driver of your Focusrite interface for Komplete Kontrol.