Traktor Kontrol X1 Mk1 or Mk2?

John Deere Traktor
John Deere Traktor Member Posts: 20 Member

Traktor noob here, I just bought a Z2 and now I need the controller to trigger the right deck.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference, from those who experienced both which one would you get?

Tagged:

Comments

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod
    edited August 2022

The touchstrip is a great addition so i would say Mk2, which is also still supported by NI. If you like remapping controls, the Mk1 has 4 instead of 3 knobs. Price looks to be about the same, although you may get lucky with the Mk1, which will probably only be available second hand and thus maybe cheaper.

Edit: You may get two D2's for a bargain for much the same reason as the X1Mk1. They still work and are just awesome. Buy maybe one first and have a go. If you don't like it, i am sure you could resell it for the same price. Also the D2 is sturdy as hell while the X1Mk2 is a bit touchy with it's touch sensitive knobs.

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 227 Pro

X1 Mk1 is a work horse. Would not be without mine. I've even got a spare one just in case...

• John Deere Traktor

Thanks for the advice guys, looking at them both they really don't look much different. I just bought a Z2 and I can already do loops from it & hot cues. Just found out that I can hold shift and press A & B to play tracks in software mode so what is the benefit of an X1? I guess the effects section, but there are only 3 knobs per side!

Not sure about the D2, if this is just a stems thing then it's not for me, not interested in breaking tracks down into their different elements.

Does Mk1 have touch sensitive knobs? Quite like the library feature, but then I can do that from the mixer too 😂

• John Deere Traktor

That's £3.53 you owe me lol, just went on eBay and this lead popped up when I was looking for D2's, figured it would be good for my Z2 and new Lenovo. Wonder if e Z2 will power the Lenovo? So I don't need to plug in the power adapter! I power the laptop from a monitor that way.

• John Deere Traktor

Let's remind ourselves what they both look like.

• Sûlherokhh
    edited August 2022

D2 is not about stems for me, it's about the screen (awesome), the dedicated deck controls, the touchstrip, the performance pad modes and the edit mode. Endless-encoders and performance-faders are an added bonus when using samples on a remix deck. The price has dropped to less than half of what it used to cost, despite consumer prices rising a lot in the years since it's release. And it's a modular device, just like the X1, slightly bigger, it's lightweight and it has got a USB-Hub with 2 sockets.

X1Mk1 doesn't have touch sensitive controls or a touchstrip. For what it is supposed to do i always like A&H Xone K1/K2 better i must say. X1Mk2 though is spot on compared to Mk1. The upgrade includes the Mk2 series LED's, the touchstrip and the effective 7segDisplay.

Edit: Here is a pic for you. 😁

• John Deere Traktor
    edited August 2022

Thanks for the informative replies everyone, in the end I did a deal for an X1 and F1, £180.

Should be more than enough for me.

Tried adding a pic of my studio so far but it added 5he pic upside down? Added as an attachment but still upside down! 😡 cant delete now.

• Sûlherokhh

Sweet. Did you get the Mk1 or Mk2 if i may ask?

• John Deere Traktor

I got the mk2

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 227 Pro

F1 is a ton of fun.