Retrigger Sections

mtamayo
mtamayo Member Posts: 36 Member

I'm trying to figure out how to retrigger sections in Song Mode.

For some reason I am able to retrigger scenes when in Ideas mode but not Song mode - which is weird because I remember I was able to retrigger scenes/sections in Song mode and not Ideas mode.

I guess I must have pushed something but can't figure out what I did. I made sure that retrigger option is ON, and the Perform grid and Arrange grid are both set to 1/16.

In Song mode it won't even jump between Sections when I choose a different section while it is playing. When I choose a different section, it seems to just highlight it, but it keep on playing from on the current position without any change.

What am I doing wrong?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• mtamayo
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the replies @Jeremy_NI and @D-One

I actually figured it out and forgot to come back here and post the solution.

I had actually somehow disabled the AUTO button on the controller shown in the picture below. This option is shown whenever you hold SHIFT + RESTART (Loop) on the controller. It was driving me crazy I couldn't figure it out, haha. I looked through the online manual, PDF manual, PDF manual addendums, and don't see any mention of it anywhere.

Having AUTO on is the default setting, but turning it off does not retrigger the sections when you choose them in SONG mode. When you have AUTO off, it will highlight the section when you choose it via a pad, but not jump to it - even if you have the Retrigger setting set to ON.

I only see how to do this on the controller, as I couldn't find an option for this anywhere in the software. Is this a controller only option?

I think NI must have forgotten to include this in the manual so y'all should probably add it in.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Hey @mtamayo Does that happen on all your projects ? When it's not playing, what happens if you press the different sections? If you go to Maschine - Edit - MIDI change, is there anything selected for Sections ?

If you are sure it's a wrong setting, you can also reset Maschine to it's default settings by applying these steps: MASCHINE Crashes

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited August 2022

Are you sure you don't have bothRetrigger and Sections enabled? That makes sure the next Section only plays after the current one is finished. If you pick a time division (Performance Grid) then that's used as the delay to change the Section.

• mtamayo
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the replies @Jeremy_NI and @D-One

I actually figured it out and forgot to come back here and post the solution.

I had actually somehow disabled the AUTO button on the controller shown in the picture below. This option is shown whenever you hold SHIFT + RESTART (Loop) on the controller. It was driving me crazy I couldn't figure it out, haha. I looked through the online manual, PDF manual, PDF manual addendums, and don't see any mention of it anywhere.

Having AUTO on is the default setting, but turning it off does not retrigger the sections when you choose them in SONG mode. When you have AUTO off, it will highlight the section when you choose it via a pad, but not jump to it - even if you have the Retrigger setting set to ON.

I only see how to do this on the controller, as I couldn't find an option for this anywhere in the software. Is this a controller only option?

I think NI must have forgotten to include this in the manual so y'all should probably add it in.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

Oohhh... Good catch, I had no idea about this tbh.

So with this, we can actually edit Patterns without activating its Section, cool.

• mtamayo

@D-One @Jeremy_NI

I just saw that it is also available to choose in the software. You have to right click in the top gray loop area for the pop up menu to show. The Auto-Loop Selection option is the same as the AUTO button selection shown in my previous screenshot.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@mtamayo Thank you so much for sharing this, it's probably the most extensive retrigger issue troubleshooting guide ;)

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro
    edited August 2022

Until I saw your post I didn't even realize that area was clickable and had a selectable timing menu. Very helpful!