Move Maschine library to a new hdd

kaotik78
kaotik78 Member Posts: 5 Member
edited March 2022 in Maschine

I have a dedicated 1TB drive for my Komplete Ultimate and Maschine sounds and I duplicated it to a new 1TB SSD.

I went into Native Access and chose preferences, file location, and pointed to the new hdd and folder for where everything resides.

Going into Maschine I see under Library, that everything is still pointing to the old HDD ( I haven't removed it physically yet )

I was assuming that once I pointed my location to the new HDD in Native Access that it would update Maschine accordingly but that isn't the case.

Do I have to go through each and every library item and update the path to the new hdd or is there an easier process that I am not able to find in the Maschine software?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer ✓

@Blindeddie wrote:

Also Note: Expansion locations can not be updated using the Relocate...but again if on windows, you can hack the Reg or reinstall. If you want to hack the reg and you need direction, let me know.

Do not know if relocate it handles or not. Never used Relocate.

But if one moved Expansions/Kontakt Libraries manually and does not want to "play" with Registers, one may use Repair function in Native Access. In Repair one may direct NA to a new location of given Expansion/Library and NA becomes satisfied and content accesible in NI SW. The drawback is that it has to be done one by one.

I did it few times and it works.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Changing the Location in NA Preferences does not update the location of libraries in Maschine (or Kontakt as well). It only changes the location that any new downloads are installed too. if you unplug the old drive and open Native Access, it will show all libraries in "Repair" mode. Then you click the "Relocate All" button at the top right of NA, select the new highest level folder containing the libraries and it will change the locations of the libraries. Be aware that any "User Libraries" you have set up in Maschine will need to be changed in Maschine User Library Preferences...that need to be done by hand!!!

OR..Not absolutely sure it would work (I have not tested this Method), but if on Windows, if you disconnect the old drive, then assign the new drive the same letter as the old drive, then you should not have to do anything else. the folder structure would have to be exactly the same between the old and new drives for this to work. Let us know how it goes!!!

Also Note: Expansion locations can not be updated using the Relocate...but again if on windows, you can hack the Reg or reinstall. If you want to hack the reg and you need direction, let me know.

• kaotik78
    kaotik78 Member Posts: 5 Member

Thanks for the above, I ended up just renaming the old spinner HDD that had my library on it, and then changed the name of the SSD to the original name in OSX.

I had a feeling that this would be a faff as NI hasn't fixed this still, meaning, you could just point your library to a folder and have it iterate through all the remaining library paths programmatically.

In this instance renaming the drives solved the issue, however it still leaves much to be desired.

• Blindeddie

The Relocate does work that way for Libraries...that is the way I did it...all libs locations set using Relocate All when I selected the folder I put them in... As long as you are up and running, I guess it really does not matter how you got there!!!

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert

FYI, Relocate in NA does work well for all content except the Maschine Factory Library and the Native Browser Preview Library for which I opened an issue with NI support.

• three_eyed_otter
    three_eyed_otter Member Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2022

I was under the impression that everything was handled thru NA?

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/11

Have a good one,

3EO

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer ✓

@Blindeddie wrote:

Do not know if relocate it handles or not. Never used Relocate.

But if one moved Expansions/Kontakt Libraries manually and does not want to "play" with Registers, one may use Repair function in Native Access. In Repair one may direct NA to a new location of given Expansion/Library and NA becomes satisfied and content accesible in NI SW. The drawback is that it has to be done one by one.

I did it few times and it works.

• Blindeddie

I do stand corrected, after post comment above I did some testing and Yes, Expansions can be relocated/Repaired one by one, you cannot use the "Relocate/Repair All" function on a parent level folder to do them all in one shot!!! thanks @Kubrak for clarifying!

• ZeroZero
    ZeroZero Member Posts: 30 Member

Not all NKIs have representation in Access. If you swap the drive letters to a new drive, will everythnig get picked up? Personally i don't fancy the re-locate thing as it may be the case that some files like "snare.wav" could have multiple entries