Lock groove loops

Omnimpotence
Omnimpotence Member Posts: 15 Member
edited March 2023 in Share Ideas for Traktor Pro

Hello,

Would it be possible to have a 'lock groove' loop button, trigger ( something to push) that will make a loop that is a lock groove on a record. Like we used to do with stickers on vinyl. I would really like this to use for some beat juggling on the fly

2 votes

Closed · Last Updated

This idea did not receive enough support from the community.

Comments

• shamoo!
    shamoo! Member Posts: 22 Helper

I dont understand this request. Could you explain what a lock groove is? Is that just a just another word for a loop?

If its just a lope, then you can already create these on the fly in traktor. If you hardware doesnt have a dedicated button, just set one up by midi mapping it.

• Omnimpotence

A lock groove on a record is loop that is the length of one full rotation of the record. We used to typically do this with stickers to make the needle jump back one groove and play again.

The great application is for beat juggling, they are also good because the top of the loop, the loop in point is open so the song can be rewound beyond the beginning of the loop but will continue looping the locked groove once it gets there

• shamoo!
    shamoo! Member Posts: 22 Helper

Ok didnt know people did this with stickers. Couldn't have been great for the kneedle or vinyl.

So its a loop mode that allows the user to rewind passed the loop start point. I don't really have use for it myself but will +1 anyway.

• Omnimpotence

Thank you,

There is a reason that early battle records used by turntablists were called "needle thrashers" and so on.

To rewind beyond the start of the loop is one aspect of a lock groove, the other is that the loop is exactly one rotation of the vinyl, or platter. So, if there is a kick at 12 o'clock the same kick will hit again at 12 o'clock as long as the loop is active. Same applies for any other hits on the loop. it is a great tool for beat juggling

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 582 Pro

Could the intended result be done using cue points and cue loops from your controller?

• Omnimpotence

Not really, at least not on the fly. It is possible to set up these loops in the studio, but even then it would be a nusence, each loop would have to be exactly 1.8 seconds long. However, a button to do it would be nice

• Omnimpotence

Not really, anything with a clock type indicator, or a mechanical jog wheel. Why?

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 357 Guru

Use a 1 bar loop at 133.333333 BPM, done.

• Omnimpotence

Yes, now a nice one touch command that means it isn't necessary to manually change the tracks beat grid to 133bpm, then set a loop, then return the beat grid to the tracks original bpm, hopefully without upsetting any effects that might be running. Also, it would not leave the begining of the loop open for longer backspins.

Unfortunately, not even close to done, but thanks for some of that foot stomping German efficiency

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 357 Guru
    edited August 2022

I mean to be completely fair, I was mostly being flippant, but it IS actually something you could do with the controller manager. Set up a button to

1. Create a new grid marker
    2. BPM Adjust (Direct mode) to 133.333333
    3. Set loop for 4 beats
    4. Set a modifier

And if the modifier is on when you press the button, delete the current cue and beat marker (which should reset the tempo and end the loop), and unset the modifier again.

It's not all you say you want, but it's not nothing!

• merve
    merve Member Posts: 11 Advisor

that just might be crazy enough to work

• Omnimpotence

Worth a shot. Have thought about this process before. The only problems i see are, that by utilising beat grid markers removes any ability to lock to the existing grid, and any existing applied effects would freak out with the manual change of BPM

This discussion has been closed.