How to shift audio loops?

marcoast
marcoast Member Posts: 1 Member

How do you nudge audio loops from the starting position? I don't want to change the pitch, timeshift, or loop of the audio, just the starting position.

For example, with MIDI notes, you can shift the starting position of a note in the events view to wherever you want without changing anything else. How would you do this with audio loops?

I basically want to make audio loops that I bring in fit in the pocket of the rest of the song I'm making.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,637 mod
    Answer ✓

@marcoast As @Blindeddie said, unfortunately it is not possible to change the strat position of the loop or to move the loop to a different point. Apart from what Ed proposed, you could also go to the edit mode, duplicate the loop, make your own loop and then truncate. It might be difficult to make the perfect loop though.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited August 2022

You can't change the start point of a loop in using the audio module within the pattern/event view. It always starts at the beginning of the pattern.

You could use the sampler in one shot mode and just place an event where you want it to start.

and just to clarify, when using the audio module, if the BPM of the Loop does not match the BPM of the project, it is automatically time stretched to match the project, so you would need to do that manually timestretch the loop...

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,637 mod
    Answer ✓

@marcoast As @Blindeddie said, unfortunately it is not possible to change the strat position of the loop or to move the loop to a different point. Apart from what Ed proposed, you could also go to the edit mode, duplicate the loop, make your own loop and then truncate. It might be difficult to make the perfect loop though.

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor

Yeah I really wish the audio device let you move the starting point around especially since the length of the loop remains fixed, it would just cycle through it differently.

You might be able to achieve the effect by setting the audio mode to “gate” and then insert it as a clip and then trim off the beginning of the the clip but then you’d have to make a copy for the part you trimmed and stick it to the end of your first clip to create a new composite clip/loop

• musicprotest
    musicprotest Member Posts: 2 Member

I was running into a similar problem and found a solution that worked for me. If you load the audio device into a clip (instead of a pattern), then the playback of the audio is snapped to the beginning of the clip. Now, whereever the clip is moved to, the audio will start to play.

To give you more control, you can set the Audio module's playback mode to "Gate" and then use events (midi notes) to trigger the audio. Once I set the gate to trigger playback where I want, I then adjust the start position of the clip to match the gate event... and THEN nudge my clip's "position". I get the most granular position control by turning off the Arrange grid (on MK3 - SHIFT+Follow(Grid) and then hit pad 16 to select "off").

For the super technical folks out there (I'm one) with the grid set to off, the smallest adjustment you can make is 10ppq. This isn't good enough for sample-precise editing, but it is about 12th of a 1/32nd note which is pretty fine. I *believe 10ppq is the smallest adjustment that Maschine allows anywhere (like when you hold shift to make fine adjustments). But, I'm not an authority on that :)