How do I get the Kontakt on-screen keyboard to display correctly when using multiple instruments

Richard_AH
Richard_AH Member Posts: 2 Member

Hi all,

In Kontakt, I have loaded up several instruments in one rack. The on-screen keyboard displays fine for the first instrument.

However, when i change to channel 2 (in FL Studio) to play the second loaded instrument, the on-screen display remains the same (i.e. with the first instrument). The instument plays fine (i.e. changes from the first to second) and in Kontakt, i can see all the volume etc displaying correctly in the second instrument.

However, the on-screen keyboard remains tied to the first instrument, meaning i can't see the key-switches etc.

Anyone else come across this and know how to resolve thjs so that the on-screen keyboard displays the info for the instrument I am using (and not just the first one).

Thanks,

Richard

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

The only way to get the Virtual KB to change to match the instrument that is currently playing is to click in the header area of the instrument to select it (the header should be highlighted). The selection is not triggered by midi, it is a manual process!!!

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

The only way to get the Virtual KB to change to match the instrument that is currently playing is to click in the header area of the instrument to select it (the header should be highlighted). The selection is not triggered by midi, it is a manual process!!!

• Richard_AH
    Richard_AH Member Posts: 2 Member

I cannot believe it was this simple ! :) Honestly, i spent ages trying to figure this out, and there it was staring me in the face all along.

Thanks so much. Sorry for being such a dufus.

• NigelD27
    NigelD27 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

In updating Kontakt with 7 released last year I believe, it looks like they have helped with making it look pretty. I find they fixed the look of their GUI rather than make some real changes that help aspiring composers get their feet under them. Something seemingly small as the Virtual Keyboard not following the midi channel I have selected in my DAW, is a major hassle to deal with repeatedly. They added a fancy new GUI portion called the "Instrument Navigator." This is an attempt to solve the issue and can be found useful when tweaking different instruments while in Kontakt, but many times I just need Kontakt to stay open on a separate monitor and follow the midi tracks I'm selecting in my DAW, So I don't have to click anything in Kontakt to just see where on the keyboard I need to be. I am willing to wager that composers still take up quite a bit of the market, right along side with beat makers. So why can't they make life a little easier for us. I spent 10 hours yesterday, all day until I couldn't keep my eyes open, trying to simply start a template with Kontakt, run multiple instruments/articulations through one instance, and route everything properly. I had scoured the internet/youtube, looking for answers to questions every composer will need to ask starting out. Simple routing techniques, ect.. I watched the 1.5 hour video about "everything in Kontakt" by Native Instruments, and they make little mention of all questions ANY beginning composer WILL have in Kontakt. I understand that marketing is crucial in the plug-in game. Native Instruments make their stuff look so good, I want to put it on my plate and take a bite. But to be the best, you've got to BE the best at both marketing and precision of a thorough design. I heard a respected composer speak of the three goals in production: Cheap, Fast, High Quality. You can only have two. If you want it fast and cheap, it's going to be low quality; Fast and high quality, it will be expensive; but there is the third option for High quality; High quality can be affordable and practical when given the appropriate amount of time. Kontakt has had over a decade. It's time. Thank you to the few souls who read today's frustration. I presume you are on a similar quest to write in peace with harmony, in a digital world of savages.