Recording MIDI with Maschine MK3 in Pro Tools

shatzer
shatzer Member Posts: 9 Member
edited August 2022 in Maschine

Trying to record midi into Pro Tools but can’t figure it out for some reason.

I have Maschine in MIDI Mode, and the Maschine plug-in initiated on an instrument track. I’m able to get a signal and can hear the sounds being played on the track but when I’m recording there’s no midi data being recorded.

Any clue on what I’m doing wrong?

I’m on Pro Tools 2022.7 on an i7 Mac Mini running Monterey 12.4.

Comments

• shatzer

Just adding for clarity, I can hit the pads and trigger sounds from the plug-in in Pro Tools, the meter lights up and I can hear everything. The only problem is it’s not recording the midi data if that makes sense.

• shatzer

Anybody? I tried in Universal Audio Luna as well and it’s the same thing. Surely I’m missing a setting somewhere.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

@D-One, @Jeremy_NI any clue with this?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@shatzer When in Maschine in standalone, make sure that in the MIDI settings, the virtual inputs and outputs for Maschine MK3 and Maschine 2 are ticked. Also check in ProTools in Setup / MIDI / MIDI Input Devices that the MK3 virtual input is selected.

If everything is set up that way it should work and record the MIDI in Pro Tools.

• shatzer

Thanks, I have all of that selected but still doesn’t work. I also tried in Universal Audio’s Luna and I’m unable to get midi recorded on there as well so it’s not just a Pro Tools issue.

• Jeremy_NI

@shatzer Some AVID / FB360 plug-ins have caused issues with the integration of our devices. Please try this:

Go to this location:

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Avid > Audio > Plug-Ins

Move all these plug-ins to the unused Plug-ins (unused) folder

• FB360-Mix-Loudness-ambiX.aaxplugin
    • FB360-Control-ambiX.aaxplugin
    • FB360-Stereo-Loudness-ambiX.aaxplugin
    • FB360-Spatialiser-ambiX.aaxplugin
    • FB360-Converter-ambiX.aaxplugin

Restart your computer and open ProTools.

• podusa
    podusa Member Posts: 1 Member

I have tried everything of the above. Does not work anyway. Unbelievable that it's this complicated. Any help?

• Jeremy_NI

Hey @podusa What is your operating system? Do you have a M1 computer? What version of Pro Tools are you using?

• shatzer

Still unable to get it working, just kinda gave up on it. Everything works fine through my NI keyboard, just the Maschine won’t record.

• shatzer

If I contacted support would they be able to take control of my computer and try seeing what the problem is?

• Jeremy_NI

@shatzer Can you check that MIDI thru is ticked here:

• mehe
    mehe Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2023

There is an instruction in the manual:

https://www.native-instruments.com/ni-tech-manuals/maschine-mk3-manual/en/audio-routing,-remote-control,-and-macro-controls#sending-midi-from-sounds

Just find this topic:

"Sending MIDI from Sounds"

This procedure doesn't work. Pro Tools still doesn't receive any MIDI data.