How to apply FXs on Kontrol F1

säan
säan Member Posts: 14 Member
edited February 27 in Mapping Traktor

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping I will find the answer to my unsolved problem by posting here :)

Basically here is the deal, I have the X1, Z1, F1, they work just fine and I love them, but there is one thing I don't get: I have seen people applying FXs to the Stems on the F1, and it makes complete sense since there is a pad dedicated to FX control when you press shift on the F1. But for some reason I just can't make it work with mine, I can control the FXs on Deck A and B (they are normal Track Decks) but nothing ever happens on Track C or D (where my Remix Deck would be). I know I am definitely missing something but I just don't know what exactly...

If you need more precisions, I will be happy to share my settings etc...

Thanks in advance for your help,

Simon.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod
    Answer ✓

This is how to do it:

Preferences --> Controller Manager --> Select X1 Mapping in the Device dropdown menu.

Add In... --> Modifier --> Modifier #1 --> Type [Button], Mode [Hold], Value [1], Override [No (uncheck)]; Assign this to the SHIFT button. This creates a shift layer for your other mapped controls.

Add In... --> Mixer --> FX Unit 1 On --> Type [Button], Mode [Toggle], Override [Yes (check)], Condition [M1 = 1], Assignment [Deck C]; Assign this to FX button 1 (left side).

Add In... --> Mixer --> FX Unit 2 On --> Type [Button], Mode [Toggle], Override [Yes (check)], Condition [M1 = 1], Assignment [Deck C]; Assign this to FX button 2 (left side).

Add In... --> Mixer --> FX Unit 1 On --> Type [Button], Mode [Toggle], Override [Yes (check)], Condition [M1 = 1], Assignment [Deck D]; Assign this to FX button 3 (right side).

Add In... --> Mixer --> FX Unit 2 On --> Type [Button], Mode [Toggle], Override [Yes (check)], Condition [M1 = 1], Assignment [Deck D]; Assign this to FX button 4 (right side).

The result is that you can use the FX assign buttons with any shift button to activate FX for decks C & D.

If you wish for LED feed back do the following:

Select the first "FX Unit 1 On" assignment in the mapping list. Press Add Out... then press FX Unit 1 On. This will create a LED assignment with all the necessary mapping details already filled in.

Do the same for the other three assignments.

If you have any trouble, tell me how far you've got and with what result. I will help you along the way. 🦋

Answers

• Sûlherokhh

With the X1 you can activate two FX units for decks A and B (or only C and D if you set your X1 to control the lower decks). On the F1 you only have the option of applying FX for a slot/stem. This functions as an additional gate, so if you use it there still remains the need to activate the FX unit routing for the deck as a whole.

You can either do this with a mouse on the screen interface (which must have set to visible the column Filter+Key+Gain+Cue+Balance in the Mixer Layout as well as 4 Decks visible in the Decks Layout section) or you can map the channel FX buttons on your X1 to toggle channel FX for decks C+D when using shift if you know how to do that. If the latter is what you are aiming for i can give you instructions on how to do that.

• säan

Thank you for replying so quickly!

I am not going to lie I am not sure I understand everything here. That means I would need to use 4 FX Decks right? And one of them would be assigned to the F1?

• Sûlherokhh
    edited July 2022

From the ground up.

There are 4 seperate FX Units. Usually with the X1 you only use 2 FX Units. In the preferences you can switch between 2 and 4.

For this explanation we will only need two of them. That's FX Unit 1 and FX Unit 2.

Every deck can route it's signal through those FX Units. That's what the switch on the X1 is doing, routing the audio signal of either (or both) deck A/B through FX Unit 1 (left) and or FX Unit 2 (right).

Let's assume that deck A is a stem deck and you will control the stems with your F1. Now you want to apply FX Unit 1 to your stem track. First you have to route the deck signal through the Unit on the X1 (left). Since it is a stem deck, the individual stem/slot FX you can access on the shift layer of the F1 need to be active as well. At least those stems that you want to have FX applied to. That's what i meant when i wrote that there are basically two gates for the FX, deck routing and stem routing.

If you use decks C or D, you will have to activate the signal routing for decks C and D as well as the slot/stem routing. The X1 only provides signal routing toggles for 2 decks (usually deck A&B), not 4 decks. Unless you use a second X1 for decks C and D you will either have to use the mouse or remap/expand some of the controls of your X1 to provide the necessary control assignments.

• säan

Okay I think I do understand the logic behind it, that's a very good explanation and I appreciate you're taking time for this.

So that's why you mentioned I should remap some of the controls, for instance the shift button. That's what I was trying to do I think but I have been unsuccessful so far 😅

• Sûlherokhh
    Answer ✓

This is how to do it:

Preferences --> Controller Manager --> Select X1 Mapping in the Device dropdown menu.

Add In... --> Modifier --> Modifier #1 --> Type [Button], Mode [Hold], Value [1], Override [No (uncheck)]; Assign this to the SHIFT button. This creates a shift layer for your other mapped controls.

Add In... --> Mixer --> FX Unit 1 On --> Type [Button], Mode [Toggle], Override [Yes (check)], Condition [M1 = 1], Assignment [Deck C]; Assign this to FX button 1 (left side).

Add In... --> Mixer --> FX Unit 2 On --> Type [Button], Mode [Toggle], Override [Yes (check)], Condition [M1 = 1], Assignment [Deck C]; Assign this to FX button 2 (left side).

Add In... --> Mixer --> FX Unit 1 On --> Type [Button], Mode [Toggle], Override [Yes (check)], Condition [M1 = 1], Assignment [Deck D]; Assign this to FX button 3 (right side).

Add In... --> Mixer --> FX Unit 2 On --> Type [Button], Mode [Toggle], Override [Yes (check)], Condition [M1 = 1], Assignment [Deck D]; Assign this to FX button 4 (right side).

The result is that you can use the FX assign buttons with any shift button to activate FX for decks C & D.

If you wish for LED feed back do the following:

Select the first "FX Unit 1 On" assignment in the mapping list. Press Add Out... then press FX Unit 1 On. This will create a LED assignment with all the necessary mapping details already filled in.

Do the same for the other three assignments.

If you have any trouble, tell me how far you've got and with what result. I will help you along the way. 🦋

• Sûlherokhh

Or try this i just put together. Load this mapping manually but remove the original X1 mapping to prevent double commands:

• säan

Thank you I will try this and come back to you!

Thanks again for helping me 🙏

• säan

I have just tried your mapping file and it's working, thank you very much for that :)

One other question, I'm guessing it's not possible to add an extra mapping so I can control either the FX Unit 3 or Unit 4, I would need an extra X1 for that right?

• Sûlherokhh

You could add a mapping for the other two units but then the knobs would need to be used twice on different layers. This can get confusing during play really fast. I would recommend either a second X1, which would also let you manage two more decks, or an A&H K1/K2 with all the knobs and buttons you need and a billion cool mappings to choose from.

How do you control parameters for decks C and D?

• säan

Yeah that was my concern, it's probably not the best idea, it can already become quite confusing without adding this to the equation 😅

Although, since you seem to have a good knowledge on mapping I would have another question. Basically on the F1 there is an option where you can Pitch a sample, but for that you need to keep pressing the sample button while adjusting the pitch, would there be anyway that once the sample is selected I can just control the pitch and if I want to exit that I just press the sample button again?

Not sure if that makes sense sorry lol

• Sûlherokhh

Sadly there are no mappable commands for that. You can only do it with qml editing on the last generation of controllers (S2/3/4MK3,D2,S5,S8).

I use the F1 primarily to prepare the Remix Set and then actually use a D2 to control the deck, accessing the pitch with one hand.

• säan

Haaa that's a shame! It makes it so much more difficult to use than what it should really be but thank you again for your help and precious advices !

• Sûlherokhh

You are welcome. 🦋