When I Export my Song, Kontakt Jams at 100% CPU Usage and I Can't Export. How can I solve this?

Luke C.
Luke C. Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
edited July 2022 in Kontakt

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this form, so please excuse my "beginner-like" conduct.

So I have a problem that's making me tear my hair out of my head, and I'll give all the context I can based upon my research. So the short of it: I am trying to export stems for a song that has 4 Instances of Kontakt, most of them are filled pretty much (with 8 instruments each). The problem: When I export (I'm using FL Studio), FL Studio almost stops exporting completely at about 25% of the way through. When I abort the export, I find that ONLY Kontakt Instance #2 is jammed at 100% CPU usage, and I cannot finish the export because of this. The weird part is that the other instances of Kontakt are just fine, but not #2 (it has Cinematic Studio Woodwinds and the Symphony Series Strings - but the other Kontakts have the Symphony Series Strings too, and the winds have been fine in the past).

MY SYSTMEM:

DAW: FL Studio

STORAGE: Libraries are loaded on an SSD (Samsung 970 Evo Plus), NTFS Formatted

I have seen others discuss that Kontakt does not like ExFat formatted drives, but mine is NTFS and should be totally fine according to this other support article (https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013984897-Storing-Libraries-on-an-External-Drive-for-both-Mac-and-Windows?_ga=2.266528462.1725487861.1658699606-1791774276.1605501353)

This other article also did not help, because again—my drive is NTFS, not ExFat (https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/best-solution-for-kontakt-vsts-hitting-disk-100.348343/).

I'd be happy to give anymore details as needed, but this is driving me insane. The annoying part is that I was able to bounce all the stems a few months ago, but now it's not working for some reason.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Luke C.
    Answer ✓

Hey all,

Thank you to all you who answered this thread and tried to help. I was not able to find a solution to my problem, but I was able to find a workaround that might be useful to anyone reading this a future time, here's the workaround:

Export about half or less of your project (before the export starts to freeze), then click the restart button on Kontakt to reset any problems with it (image attached to post), then export the rest in chunks like that and make a new project and string all those chunks together and export it as one file. I know it's not the best solution, but it worked for me for now.

Hope this helps,

Luke C.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Have you tried deleting the instance that is causing the issue then adding it back and then loading the instruments again? (save the rack as a multi so your settings are preserved). You can also try starting a new project and and laoding in instance with the same multi and see if exporting also causes the crash. Just a couple troubleshooting tips to determine the root cause (Kontakt or the Instruments).

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

And how much RAM do you have. I used to have strange Kontakt behaviour when I had insuffitient RAM (8GB) and there was lots of memory swapping. I guess about 8 GB of "RAM" has been in swap file... Upgrading RAM to 16 GB made things OK.

For some time, before Cremona Quartet came... Now, I am on 64 GB, needing 32 GB.

• Luke C.

Thank you Blindeddie and Kubrak for your replies, great to know someone might be able to help or at least cares because this is driving me crazy.

RE Blindeddie: Both of your suggestions were good ideas. I tried the first idea which was to save a multi and delete Kontakt and re-add it to the project... this didn't work sadly. Also, I just tried your second idea which was saving the multi and opening it in a new project... the file exported just fine. Not sure what conclusion to draw from this.

RE Kubrak: I have 32 GB, should be more than enough. And for some reason, I've been able to export these stems before... but it's almost as though they aren't working now.

Thanks again, but I definitely need to get this resolved. Hope you're both well.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Hi @Luke C. what's your FL version? I remembering seeing a similar issue before which can be solved by upgrading FL to the latest version.

Otherwise worth checking troubleshooting steps in these articles as well:

Windows Tuning Tips for Audio Processing

How Can I Optimize the Performance of KONTAKT?

• Luke C.

Hi Kaiwan,

My FL Version is 20.9.2. I just updated since you mentioned that (although my version was already current), and sadly this did not fix it.

I went through the articles you sent as well, and they did not help solve the issue sadly... tried a lot of steps with Kontakt, updating audio drivers, adjust instrument settings, etc... nothing.

That being said, I was able to identify/isolate the problem a little bit more. I figured out that ONLY the woodwinds (Cinematic Studio Woodwinds) are causing this issue. Again, I tried messing with the instrument settings, but you may know something I don't about instrument settings. Ideas?

Thank you.

• Luke C.
    Answer ✓

Hey all,

Thank you to all you who answered this thread and tried to help. I was not able to find a solution to my problem, but I was able to find a workaround that might be useful to anyone reading this a future time, here's the workaround:

Export about half or less of your project (before the export starts to freeze), then click the restart button on Kontakt to reset any problems with it (image attached to post), then export the rest in chunks like that and make a new project and string all those chunks together and export it as one file. I know it's not the best solution, but it worked for me for now.

Hope this helps,

Luke C.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Thanks for sharing. If you still experience this kind of issues I would recommend to contact our support agents here: http://bit.ly/NIsupport_kontakt

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Is multiprocessing option in Kontakt enabled for you (Options->Engine)? If not, enable it and see if it helps. After you set it you will need to reopen your project.