Maschine + DAW (Ableton) - Recording MIDI working.. but playback isn't.

Martin Schmid
Martin Schmid Member Posts: 66 Member
edited July 2022 in Maschine

What am I missing in my setup here?

I basically had the same question that was in this post:

After finally getting midi recording... I found that when I went to play back, there was no sound. Please see this video (about 90 seconds). Shows full setup of the Ableton tracks, Maschine plug in, MIDI in the plug in.. recording the midi data.. but then, when playing back.. nada.

Thx much in advance!

Comments

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru
    edited July 2022

You didn't set the midi input in maschine.

• Martin Schmid

@darkwaves - can you elaborate?

I assume you mean like this?

I found that whether it is set like that or not, if the ableton track w/ the Machine instrument on it (not the midi track) is selected, the audio does come through. It's a bit impractical to have to have a track selected to hear on playback, as only one can be selected at a time.

• Martin Schmid

I think I figured it out.. but I can't say I understand it...

• Martin Schmid

Here's an overview of how I've got this setup. If there is an easier way to connect the Sound in Maschine to the Track arm/recording in Ableton, it would make me happier. https://doyoulikeham.wordpress.com/2022/07/24/using-native-instruments-maschine-with-ableton-live/

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited July 2022

What are you having a hard time understanding specifically? Maybe I can help.

• Martin Schmid

Hi @D-One thanks for always being so helpful! I think I have it figured out... for the most part anyway.

The main thing I'm wondering if there is a better workflow to make sure the correct Sound is selected on Maschine when I select/arm a track in Ableton.

After the write up I did originally (my last post above on wordpress), I found that this wasn't ideal as I couldn't assign effects to each instrument individually (e.g., if I wanted Guitar Rig effect on the Grand Piano in a way that I could automate from within Ableton).

So... I revised the setup a bit per this draft post to use Ableton's "External Instrument" instead of just MIDI tracks. (Slightly different, as I'm using different instruments in Kontakt, instead of the Grand Piano and Blue Man Tubes... but the same gist)... with this setup, I can add Guitar Rig directly to tracks in Ableton, (then presumably Automate, but I've yet to get that far).

If there was a way to make sure, for example, the Bass Sound was selected in Maschine when I arm the Bass track in Ableton for recording, it would simplify things a bit.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

The main thing I'm wondering if there is a better workflow to make sure the correct Sound is selected on Maschine when I select/arm a track in Ableton.

No, unfortunately, you have to manually select the Sound in MAS. I generally use only one Pad per Group for Instruments because it's easier to navigate Groups since you have the 2x4 buttons rather than navigating different Pads of the same Group when in Keyboard Mode; makes it a little bit faster.

I couldn't assign effects to each instrument individually (e.g., if I wanted Guitar Rig effect on the Grand Piano in a way that I could automate from within Ableton).

So... I revised the setup a bit per this draft post to use Ableton's "External Instrument" instead of just MIDI tracks.

For this you have 2 options, either have an audio track per instrument receiving audio from MAS-Plug or an External Inst as you mentioned. The Ext Inst has the advantage of sort combining Audio+MIDI to a limited extent so it makes the project cleaner, having an Audio Track per instrument gives you more freedom (to record directly to audio and edit) but means 1 MIDI + 1 Audio track per Instrument so it clutters things a bit.

• Martin Schmid

great.. thx. You touched on a couple of things that were knocking on in my head. Interesting approach of using groups instead... great tip!