Anyone have tips or advice on Maschine cpu issues?

Comments

• AxMusic
    AxMusic Member Posts: 117 Member

Here are the stats

• AxMusic

I noticed one of the NI items was added twice… Is that how it is supposed to be? Or is that a duplicate on my end?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited July 2022

Performance in terms of CPU looks fine, with tiny differences. Here are some last resort things to try and general computer optimization:

• Make sure you have at least 10GB of free space on your hard drive.
    • Try a different audio interface.
    • Check your system settings> Battery and see if there are any power saving features On, if there are turn them off (I don't think this is still a thing in Big Sur, assuming that's what you're using)
    • Turn off WIFI & Bluetooth when using Maschine and check if it makes any difference, turn both off before launching the MAS app.
    • Download Geekbench, run the benchmark, and compare it with the expected results for your Mac, search for those in this list: https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks
    • There are a bunch of "optimizing mac for audio" guides out there, from my experience they do little to absolutely no difference but since you case is extreme it might be worth trying: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-10-15-catalina-optimization-guide-for-recording/
    • If all of the above fails try resetting your SMC and PRAM - This is done with a keyboard combo at startup, google it for your exact Mac Mini model as the combo changes based on different models.

If you still have issues then you can try asking support for a previous version of Maschine, maybe the current one has some sort of bug related to your particular config. Or... manually backup all your projects, samples, and important data to an external HD and do a clean Mac OS install, then move everything back, the major draw back to this is if you forget to backup anything important it will be gone for ever and you will have to manually install everything again. So... be careful if you do this, maybe also make a time-maschine backup just in case.

• AxMusic

Thank You for the info.

I will try these steps and report the results

• AxMusic

Ran thru some of these and here are the results so far..

1. Have over 200gb of space on the hard drive
    2. There were a few battery save features on, I disabled them.
    3. Turned off Bluetooth and wifi didn’t see much of a difference.
    • Tried geekbench and my single core result was close to the online reference. While the multi core wasn’t. (I will post the pics below)
    • I will run by that sweet water article soon, and com back if that offers any changes.
  • AxMusic

Here is the geek bench reference

• AxMusic

Here are my results

• AxMusic
    edited July 2022

Just for comparison I looked up to M1 Macs and the difference was substantial. Didn’t know the bench mark difference was so great.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

There is something wrong with your PC...... Multicore should be roughly double of singlecore, in your case.

It looks like there is some kind of power/temperature limit and CPU is not able to run the both cores at full speed because of that...

• AxMusic
    edited July 2022

Ok, so then ideally my multicore should be around 1200 - 1300?

Does that definitively mean that this is a cpu issue?

Seems odd since I ran temperature scans/ cpu performance scans and they seemed within the normal range.

Now i’m wondering if this was in fact a cpu issue. And the cpu scans appear normal would this be some type of hardware issue…?

Something physically wrong with the cpu that software moves couldn’t fix?

*sorry for the billion questions*

• Kubrak

I do not know, if it is possible to see data for individual cores on Mac, I am on Win.

Maybe one core runs at normal speed, and another other, much lower. Also temperature may be different for individual cores.. The same with load of individual cores.

Maybe, that cooling of one of the cores is not good...

• D-One

@Kubrak is right, it should be roughly double, not sure if a 33% below average result justifies your terrible experience tho... It's possible that the thermal paste covering your CPU has dried up enough for one of the cores to be running hot but this is just a wild guess, a bit unlikely considering your results were fine earlier but might be worth checking... You can see individual core temps during the test with "Stats", the app i mentioned earlier.

It's a gigantic difference. In GB my low end M1 is faster than my water cooled high end (in 2017) desktop, which is 30x bigger in physical size. (synthetic results don't always equate to real world performance tho)

Here are all my computers results for reference:

• Kubrak

Just for reference, my AMD Ryzen 7 APU 5700G (8C/16T @4.4GHz TDP 65W, max 82W) in 15x15x8 cm enclosure (2 litre), very silent cooling, has GB 5 Score.

1515 (SC) and 9293 (MC).

I haven't done any tuning, overclocking and so on.... One could squeeze pretty more, but I am happy with what I have, so far...

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro

i dont know if this has been mentioned...

there are issues that can occur... if your sample rates are different..

make all the sample rates... both in Maschine.. macOS audio settings and your audio interface all the same

either 44100 or 48000

as this will prevent any sample rate conversion taking place...

good luck

• D-One
    edited July 2022

Oh I forgot to mention:

Very old CPU's and modern MacOS don't really combine well, latest OS's are kind of heavy for old computers, I still have a very old 2012 model that a gave my mom that runs faster than my 2015 model with Maschine, but of course then you're stuck using old versions of everything.

Those are pretty nice results, you have a pre-built right? how much did your system cost you?

EDIT: Nvm I just saw you posted that info on another thread.