Kontact Factory Library Ochestral Polyphony issues

GrizzlyAK
GrizzlyAK Member Posts: 8 Member
edited July 2022 in Kontakt

I'm new to Kontact 6 Full and the Factory Library. I'm trying to use a Violin Ensemble Instrument from the VSL Strings Library for a single non-tremolo sample, but I'm only getting a single note at a time. I can't find any setting, such as Legato, that would provide a smooth transition between notes. At the moment, every note abrupt starts and ends the last note. The Voices count never exceeds 1 no matter how many keys are held - only the last one sounds.

However, if I load an instrument from the Legacy Library, it works as expected. What am I missing? Any advice would be appreciated.

ENV: Kontact 6 Plugin, Bitwig Studio 4.3.2, Windows 10.

EDIT: It appears that the Violin Solo Instrument in VSL Strings does provide polyphony, but the Sustain articulation has tremolo, which I do not want, whereas the Violin Ensemble does not (and I can add it as desired). I'd still be curious if there is a way to make the Ensemble Sustain polyphonic.

Comments

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

Unless I misunderstood your description of the issue, I have polyphony in Kontakt Factory Lib / VSL Strings / Violin Ensemble / Sustain patch as shown (I could only get four notes of one hand while taking the screenshot...);

All of the Dynamic Keyswitches (Cyan - bottom octave) operate on the Sustain articulation, so I'm not sure where to send you for help. Just know that your patch is probably not operating normally.

• GrizzlyAK

Hmm, well that is interesting. Below see a fresh instance of the same instrument (Kontakt 6 Full plugin in Bitwig), and you'll notice I don't have the keyswitch sections (I didn't do anything other than load it, so this might be a setting I need change). Also, note that I am playing the C3 Chord in this image, but ONLY the last note (C4) is playing, or indeed, SHOWN playing. I never get more than 1 voice, and never more than one key is shown on the keyboard. Is your image the plugin or the standalone app? Did you change anything from the default instrument? Thanks for your reply!

• Brad Yost

My SS was from SAL, but operates identically as a plugin.

Your SS shows that the keyboard is transposed up 3 octaves (+3 just left of PB wheel) so that's where the key switches are. Down arrow to zero, they should be there.

As for the polyphony... try SAL first. It might be a setting in your DAW.

• GrizzlyAK

OK, see the Key Switches now (not sure how that happened). Anyhoo, SAL exhibits same behavior. Only one note showing regardless of how many held down. 😕

• Brad Yost

Beyond me. Try starting a service ticket OR (and this could be painful...) re-download the Kontakt Factory Library.

• GrizzlyAK

I'll start a ticket 😉

Also, couldn't get SAL to output sound. I could control it with my keyboard (which I could see visually), but couldn't get output to my MOTU.

Works fine in Bitwig. Strange. Thanks for your help, Brad.

• Brad Yost
    edited July 2022

Your last SS set only shows MIDI I/O. Check the <audio> section in Options when in SAL mode.

• GrizzlyAK

The first image of the three was the Audio section. It does show the MOTU as the audio device. The last SS was just covering that base, just in case. Unless I've misunderstood your comment.

• GrizzlyAK

Got the sound sorted in SAL. I had not set the output channels in the mixer. It was on the default 1/2 and should have been 3/4. I had figured that out a while ago in the plugin and didn't remember to do that here.

GAHHH! 😣

• Brad Yost
    edited July 2022

Oops, I missed that one. Does your MOTU have its own control panel? (My old 896 mk2 did). That might be worth looking at for the SAL audio out. Maybe a channel is muted or routed incorrectly.???

Whenever KK or Kontakt give me an issue, I always check SAL mode first.

• GrizzlyAK

Also, I noticed that the Violin Ensemble.nki file in the library has been changed since I downloaded it. I may have saved over it, and I don't have a backup. In order to avoid downloading the entire 23 GB again just to fix that 62 kB file, I've asked support to email that file to me. Hopefully they will.

• Brad Yost

I don't think they can be separated, but who knows. You may have accidentally done a batch resave (which is almost always a pending disaster) in Kontakt.

• GrizzlyAK
    edited July 2022

Ooo, I WAS playing in the wavetable editor a bit trying to increase the attack further than the ZERO Attack I already had provided. Might have done something like that. I expected the library was RO, but I don't yet fully understand how Kontakt works. Lesson learned.

Oh, and the library files do appear to be individual and separable, and easily deleted, moved, or replaced on disk.A right-click on the instrument in the Libraries folder in Kontakt takes your there.