Midi channel for pedal and wheels

Crammond
Crammond Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited July 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi,

I've just received my Komplete s88 mk2 and tested it a little bit.

I created 16 templates for the midi mode, 1 for each midi channel since I use to load multiple instances on Kontakt, but I can't get to set a different midi channel for each template for the pedal, the mod wheel, the pitch bend wheel and the touch strip.

Am I missing anything?

Thank you.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,534 Expert
    Answer ✓

Pitch/Bend are set globally and unfortunately not able to be configured on a per-template basis so if you need to have them work on different channels you need to switch this in the KK app. No idea why they decided to not allow these to be stored in a template as it would have been handy for folks but that is how it is.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited July 2022

AFAIK the KK S-series (using USB) only outputs MIDI data on channel 1. You can steer that input in your DAW to other MIDI channels to drive individual instruments that are stacked in a Kontakt rack, but the feedback to the keyboard will (if wrapped in Komplete Kontrol) only reflect the instance using channel 1. And 'focus-aware' DAW's will not switch instances.

That is why many folks init each instrument in the KK wrapper per track... for the light guide and macro control using the on-board buttons & knobs. YMMV.

From the old forum 2018:

- Launch Controller Editor and create a new Template as needed.

- Click on the image of the keybed towards the bottom of the screen.

- Select the 'Assign' tab on the right hand side.

- Enter a value between 1 and 16 in the 'Channel' field.

Please note that this only applies when the keyboard is in MIDI mode, i.e. not connected to an instance of Komplete Kontrol plug-in. When your keyboard is connected to Komplete Kontrol plug-in, the keybed will default to MIDI channel 1.

• Crammond
    edited July 2022

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately my point is another one: in the midi assignment editor I can create a template and decide which channel the keys will transmit, setting a different midi channel to each template. That's not the case for the pedal and wheels. I can set a midi channel for the pedal and it will be used on any template of mine. If I set for the pedal midi channel 2, the pedal will transmit on channel 2 with any template. I can't set channel 1 on template 1 and channel 2 on template 2 for the pedal. Not sure I explained myself.

Thank you again.

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited July 2022

I understood your question.

Why not use the power in your DAW to control this?

You have two(+) MIDI tracks set to input channel 1, MIDI outputs set to Kontakt channels 1+N driving instruments 1+N in the rack. Focus on track two(+) and all inputs (notes & controllers) from the keyboard will be applied to the instrument in Kontakt that is receiving on channel 2(+). Ditto for tracks & instrument instances on down the rack.

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

Pitch/Bend are set globally and unfortunately not able to be configured on a per-template basis so if you need to have them work on different channels you need to switch this in the KK app. No idea why they decided to not allow these to be stored in a template as it would have been handy for folks but that is how it is.

• Crammond
    edited July 2022

I know that could be an option but it doesn't fit with my workflow, unfortunately.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you, Jester.

Yes, it seems weird to me. I read that MKI had the option to set different midi channels for pedals and also turn off the LEDs, which comes handy sometimes.

• JesterMgee

Yeah, the MK1 (IMO) was actually a way more flexible unit than the MK2 in terms of MIDI templates. You don't expect a new revision to actually remove useful functionality but well, it is what it is.

Control Editor was WAY better than the template editor we have in KK now. As you suggested it was possible to map both CC and channel as well as the function of the Mod/Pitch touch strips on a template basis making it so much more useful. Not only this, but the Mod strip had some really cool settings you could apply including LFO style function (with adjustable gravity and ping-pong/straight operation), Adjustable spring back and a step setting which was great for adjusting things like multi-point switches. This is why I still have my MK1 keyboard and alomst want to switch back to it.

The TS on the MK2 now has none of this and is all but useless for the most part. Oh, and yeah the ability to switch OFF the LEDs was removed, in a cynical world i'd be thinking it's some ploy to cause an LED to burn out over time to encourage the user to update their keyboard sooner.... but we live in the real world and no company ever does this with their products...

• tonalexplorer
    tonalexplorer Member Posts: 2 Member

I've filed this as a Feature Request here https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/10174/feature-request-new-firmware-komplete-mk2-keyboards-extended-mod-pitch-touch-strip-functionality - I imagine it must be possible with a firmware upgrade to enable the S-series MkII keyboards to do this.