How can I set the Midi channel of my Komplete Kontrol keyboard to work with Cubase

Larry Good
Larry Good Member Posts: 36 Member
edited July 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

How can I set the midi channel for my Komplete control keyboard to be detected by Steinberg Cubase?

Thanks

Comments

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

In NKS mode (where KOMPLETE KONTROL allows light-guide & button/knob feedback) the keybed only transmits on MIDI channel 1.

In MIDI mode you can use the Controller Editor SW to change the keybed, wheels, and knobs to any available channel and save as a template.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

In MIDI mode you can use the Controller Editor SW to change the keybed, wheels, and knobs to any available channel and save as a template.

Only with S Series MK1 keyboards.

For any latest S series MKII, A or M series you use Komplete Kontrol to create MIDI templates now

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited July 2022

@JesterMgee That's interesting. The OP didn't specify, so now we've got him covered.😉

• JesterMgee
    edited July 2022

Unsure how it could have worked as the MK2 is not even detected by Control Editor or listed as a hardware device, only the different key versions of the MK1 are listed and testing with my MK2 it is certainly not detected nor does it work:

In any case, the editor is now part of the KK software, click this MIDI button in top right, configure whatnot and save as a template to be used in MIDI mode.

• Larry Good
    edited July 2022

So far so good. I created a template called template 2.

How do I use template 2 in the context of Cubase 12.

For instance I want say a steinberg instrument slot in Halion Sonic SE to "hear Midi Channel 2.

When I use template 2 and configure the instrument to be midi 2, no midi flows .

What want to do is divide my keyboard into two separate midi channels, which I have done in the Komplete Kontrol Stand alone. What I cannot seem to figure out is how to get a VST such as Halion to hear them.

• Larry Good

Another example. I have set Channel 1 for Arkhis and Channel 2 for Elysion. I activate the midi template for the Komplete keyboard but Kontakt will not "hear it"

• Larry Good

A can do all of the above when I just run Komplete and/or Kontakt in Stand alone using templates. It appears I am not understanding something about Cubase.

• Larry Good

I am getting the feeling that either I am unclear in how I post my question, or what I am trying to do is not possible?

• JesterMgee

You would have to research how to rout midi to tracks in cubase. I’m not a cubase user so no idea but maybe the track only responds to one channel, maybe there is an “Omni” setting.

• Larry Good

I have the Komplete Kontrol Keyboard Mk2 running in split keyboard no problem if I am running Kontakt stand alone and using a template I set up. The problem occurs when I try try to do the same thing while using cubase as a DAW.

• Arnaud88
    Arnaud88 Member Posts: 5 Member

Choose the "Qelconque" channel in the track inspector