S88 MIDI templates only work if I have midi selected - why?

bjg123
bjg123 Member Posts: 23 Member
edited July 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I have eight midi templates set up on my S88 keyboard. Each one has a separate midi channel for keys - template one for midi channel one , template two for midi channel two etc. Here's the thing. If I have template one, midi channel one selected, I can play stuff through it, and if I press my plug-in button I can then use the knobs on S88 to control parameters on the plugin - nice. However, if I choose any other template, the midi input only works if I have the midi button selected (but then I can't use the knobs for controlling parameters in the plug-in). As soon as I press the plug-in button, input reverts to channel one, so I can't use that channel input while adjusting parameters on the plug in. This makes no sense to me.

My midi knowledge is limited. I read up on how to use midi templates in KK, and the only thing I've changed in the templates is the keyboard channel setting for each template. When I press the midi button, all those options lime cc14 and cc114 are meaningless to me. If anyone can point me to good learning material, that would also be appreciated.)

I'm using Reaper on a Windowws 10 machine.

Advice gratefully received.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,578 Expert
    Answer ✓

The reason is MIDI templates only function when in MIDI MODE (so when you press the MIDI button).

When you are in PLUGIN mode the keyboard is now using the NKS mode to control and play the plugin and in NKS mode the keyboard functions on channel 1. It's an either/or thing, you cannot have a MIDI template in use while in NKS mode because the NKS Plugin mode is its own template.

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

No its always channel 1 in NKS mode however, in a DAW (such as Live) I create additional midi tracks that rout to the KK trach each with a different channel so ffor something like kontakt or Omnisphere that have additional layers on different MIDI channels I can simply switch to another track. The only caveat is when you are not on the KK track you lose the smart controls. I just tend to separate things onto tracks and if I want "layers/splits" I setup grouped instruments with separate KK instances. Usually a way in a DAW to do things enough to get the job done.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

The reason is MIDI templates only function when in MIDI MODE (so when you press the MIDI button).

When you are in PLUGIN mode the keyboard is now using the NKS mode to control and play the plugin and in NKS mode the keyboard functions on channel 1. It's an either/or thing, you cannot have a MIDI template in use while in NKS mode because the NKS Plugin mode is its own template.

• bjg123

Hi Jester, thank you for this. It has saved me time searching to see what I might have been doing wrong. So I guess the obvious work flow is - go into midi mode, input what you want, and then make adjustments in NKS mode. It leaves me asking - can you change NKS mode so it works on all channels, or any channel you specify?

Many thanks,

Bernard.

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

No its always channel 1 in NKS mode however, in a DAW (such as Live) I create additional midi tracks that rout to the KK trach each with a different channel so ffor something like kontakt or Omnisphere that have additional layers on different MIDI channels I can simply switch to another track. The only caveat is when you are not on the KK track you lose the smart controls. I just tend to separate things onto tracks and if I want "layers/splits" I setup grouped instruments with separate KK instances. Usually a way in a DAW to do things enough to get the job done.

• bjg123

Your replies helped me realise something else... I couldn't work out why when playing my S88 into Maschine with a piano plug in, I couldn't get the sustain pedal to work.. it was similar, the sustain pedal only seems to work on Channel 1. Fortunately I'm realising that for most of what I do I don't have to set up separate midi-in channels.. and I've just realised the beauty of the Channel button on Mk3 to help set up or cancel midi input without using a mouse. I've had the Mk3 for about a month now and am loving it. Thanks for all your help.