Maschine Jam in 2022?

Comments

• AudioHawk
    AudioHawk Member Posts: 8 Member

The JAM is a control surface like no other I have used... the touchstrips with customisable chords or chord progression makes improvisation or even creating an underscore for video, very intuitive (once you learn the controller, which will take some focused time).

Working in an 8x8 sequencer, and setting the number of bars you are working with, you can create entire measures AND quickly move through sounds/samples to find interesting combinations. I'm admittedly old school... but I just can't get into using just a 4x4 pad, despite the velocity sensitivity. Much more keyboard focused, until I used a JAM. It's superior to anything i have used previously. My first time working in an audio studio was over 30 years ago, my first digital editor was the Orban DSE ##(?), and I still think of Adobe Audition as "Cool Edit Pro," (hates it I do...). So yeah, old school.

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro
    edited April 2022

That takes me back! I'd forgotten that Cool Edit was what Audition came from. 😂 I think it was shareware back in the day, wasn't it?

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 996 Guru

Yes, Cool Edit from Syntrillium - and there was an "easter egg" hidden computer game embedded :-)

I hated when Adobe first changed the original Cool Edit interface. I'm used to Audition now though.

• Dstep ATL
    Dstep ATL Member Posts: 95 Helper

Picked one up this afternoon, hopefully have it middle to end of next week.

Plan to use with my M+.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

I do not have it, but I like this stand. Looks pretty neat.

• Schmapps1
    Schmapps1 Member Posts: 133 Pro

Man I would love to pick up that stand…looks perfect but I haven’t been able to justify to myself the cost + shipping to Canada haha

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

One can make it DIY, or ask friend or get it done by profesional... It looks pretty easy. I do not have proper tools, but would be able to do it. And if I am able to do it, almost anyone in the world should be. :-)

• Schmapps1
    Schmapps1 Member Posts: 133 Pro
  • afrogrit
    afrogrit Member Posts: 57 Helper

I love my JAM but what really annoys me is that there's no way to bypass fx - I mean its the perfect tool for arranging and mixing but bypassing effect whilst you mix kinda of a misnomer

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro

Aside from the Maschine jam's typical usage with Maschine software...

the real beauty of the Jam hardware is in the controller editor... and making it control other programs/parameters

with 8 switchable banks of 64 user changeable coloured buttons

8 banks of 8 touch encoders

4 clickable-encoder settings

the Jam comes into its own... especially so

....when you have flexible Daw such as Reaper and the ability to toggle straight back into maschine stand alone, it really dawns on you how versatile the Maschine Jam is!!

If one adds Bomes midi translator pro&voicemeter potato.... it really opens up the cross communication of audio&midi between applications

im running...... virtual DJ free/Maschine/Reaper using maschine Jam & maschineMk2..

i use virtual DJ for the realtime stem isolation

Maschine for beats/perform Fx

Reaper for looped samples &everything else

all controlled via Maschine Jam *winks

• Mathieu
    Mathieu Member Posts: 13 Member

Mixingtable makes some custom stands that look pretty similar to the one mentioned above but seems to be of a substantial higher quality. Price is probably substantially more to reflect that however..

Interested to hear how you're liking your Jam, @Mi.Alpha, little late to the party myself but I just picked one up for $250 CAD.

Excited as hell to start using it with my Maschine with an emphasis on live performances and playing sets.

• AudioHawk
    AudioHawk Member Posts: 8 Member

Yep, I agree. I bounce all the tracks out separately and load them in my DAW of choice (REAPER) and insert iZotope (I didn't believe it was that good until I used it) and a few other plugins on each track individually. Reaper has low CPU needs, so it works out... and having 64 gig RAM and all working files on M.2 drives makes a huge difference in my opinion.

• Robert Glotzbach
    Robert Glotzbach Member Posts: 19 Member
    edited August 2022

I am looking into buying one to work with my Maschine+.

There are some second hand for sale here in Holland; however, they are sold without software. What is that software used for, is it for setting it up? Also, I guess there will need to be a license transfer, right?

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 389 Pro

Yo! You don’t need anything to set it up, just plug it in! But do the license transfer so you get full maschine 2 software license for your laptop. The previous owner will still get to keep the software, he or she won’t lose it.

• Ed M
    Ed M Member Posts: 144 Advisor

I got a Jam some months before it was discontinued, even with a coupon for some Maschine expansions. Probably the last promotion that was available for the Jam. It is not a must have controller, until you actually own one. The MK3 and the Jam are a god-like duo for making music in the Maschine software. On top of that the Jam works great as a controller for Ableton. Any Maschine user will 100% not regret buying a Jam.