2nd Hand Purchases and Ownership Transfer

Benedicta
Benedicta Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Sorry, I know this has been asked a lot but I couldn't see a definitive answer.

If you buy a 2nd hand controller (say S5/S8/D2) and the original owner doesn't transfer ownership with NI does the hardware get locked? Or is it just that you won't get a Traktor Pro software license, so you'd have to buy one (for £90) - after which all is good?

I also saw a post from an NI employee which suggested even if the original owner doesn't transfer it, if you have the device and a receipt proving ownership they will now transfer it fully to you? Or is that just for other non-Traktor products?

Tagged:

Comments

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod
    edited July 2022

It's only about the TP license. The devices don't need to be unlocked.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Well, NI usually tries to resolve that sort of things. Still, it is better/easier to get HW transfer from seller.

If nothing more, it is sort of proof, that it is not lost/stolen item....

• ilove1981
    ilove1981 Member Posts: 45 Helper

I have a Z2 I legitimately purchased but the seller could not transfer ownership to me (turns out I'm the 3rd/4th user and the original owner is still the registered owner). I haze zero issues using the Z2 - it works perfectly, but it just doesn't appear in my list of registered devices in my NI account. NI will not assign the Z2 to me as it is technically still registered to someone else. Annoying, so be careful when purchasing; ensure the current owner has the device registered to them and is willing to transfer it to you.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Hi @Benedicta best to get in touch with our support team directly here: https://bit.ly/n1registr