Abbey Road Drums Loading Times

Ryan Christman
Ryan Christman Member Posts: 45 Member

Most of my NI libraries are on an external drive. I have noticed that the Abbey Road drum libraries take a substantial amount of time to load into memory. Would doing a batch re-save help this issue, or do I need to upgrade to a solid state external drive?

Best Answers

• GoKeez
    GoKeez Member Posts: 79 Advisor
    Answer ✓

I can’t speak to batch re-save helping your issue but an SSD certainly will. I’ve always kept my entire Maschine and Logic sound libraries on an external ssd and never experienced any loading issue or even perceivable delays. I highly recommend one with the highest transfer speeds, usually they come with USBC cable (easily made to fit any port with adapter).

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

SSD would help, different cable would not. If it's a regular HDD then by and large it's a 5400 RPM drive, which is slow.

Answers

• GoKeez
    Answer ✓

I can’t speak to batch re-save helping your issue but an SSD certainly will. I’ve always kept my entire Maschine and Logic sound libraries on an external ssd and never experienced any loading issue or even perceivable delays. I highly recommend one with the highest transfer speeds, usually they come with USBC cable (easily made to fit any port with adapter).

• Ryan Christman

Because the port on the Macbook is USB-C, is it possible that the transfer speed could be limited by the USB-C cable if the read/write speed on the drive is faster than what can be transferred through the cable?

• GoKeez

Well technically, the cable that comes with the ssd you buy should deliver the speed advertised (certainly not not always the case).

So your question has inspired another….Could using a thunderbolt 4 usbc boost transfer speeds somehow considering I have frequently found the advertised speeds a bit exaggerated. Granted, this is why this round I sprung extra for 2tb M1 to eliminate the issue altogether 😩.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

@GoKeez Could using a thunderbolt 4 usbc boost transfer speeds somehow

Wondering the same thing. Maybe @Ryan Christman can do the experiment and report back if it helps with the loading time of your Abbey Road drum libraries? 😬

• EvilDragon
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

SSD would help, different cable would not. If it's a regular HDD then by and large it's a 5400 RPM drive, which is slow.

• Ryan Christman

Okay that's what I was thinking as well. Are there any particular external SSDs that you would recommend?

• EvilDragon

Just anything would be better than a HDD. But Samsung's T5/T7 range is well regarded.

• Ryan Christman

Roger that, I'll take a look. Thanks!