When using Scale mode in S88 MK2, why does it still send the out of key notes to my DAW?

Svr
Svr Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

After some searching, I guess this is 'just the way it is' and yeah, I can create two MIDI tracks, using the output of one to create a second cleaned MIDI track but it's cumbersome and makes everything more complicated than it needs to be.

Is there a reason it's like this? Maybe we could have an option to send only the 'in key' notes in the future?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    Answer ✓

Most decent DAWs allow you to set the Midi track to a key signature and only allow those notes in the scale to be recorded.

The scale function on the S-series keyboards is a visual indicator and a function to trigger just those scale notes in a loaded VSTi. The DAW (without the setting mentioned above) is not that smart.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 410 Pro
    Answer ✓

That’s why I changed my midi controller from KK61 Mk2 to Novation Launchkey Mk3 (others with this functionality are Novation SL Mk3 and M-Audio Oxygen Pro).

Scales, arps and chords are on device (done in hardware) and the result can be recorded in any DAW.

NI keyboard is “stupid” and everything is done via KK software.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Answer ✓

Most decent DAWs allow you to set the Midi track to a key signature and only allow those notes in the scale to be recorded.

The scale function on the S-series keyboards is a visual indicator and a function to trigger just those scale notes in a loaded VSTi. The DAW (without the setting mentioned above) is not that smart.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 410 Pro
    Answer ✓

That’s why I changed my midi controller from KK61 Mk2 to Novation Launchkey Mk3 (others with this functionality are Novation SL Mk3 and M-Audio Oxygen Pro).

Scales, arps and chords are on device (done in hardware) and the result can be recorded in any DAW.

NI keyboard is “stupid” and everything is done via KK software.

• Svr
    Svr Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Ahhh, that makes sense. I'd just assumed the hardware device was doing the note swapping.

That's a bit of a shame, but using the MIDI Scale/Key Sig function in Ableton is probably the best solution for me. Just annoying to have to make sure both the device and DAW have matching scale adjustments.

Thanks for the help, guys

• Brad Yost

@Svr "Just annoying to have to make sure both the device and DAW have matching scale adjustments."

Even more annoying than that is eventually picking up some music theory skills and learning to play the instrument. 😊

Good luck!