Scarbee Funk Guitar is 11 years old, yet it's the same price as the newest guitars... why is that?

David Macklem
David Macklem Member Posts: 16 Member
edited July 2022 in Kontakt

Scarbee Funk Guitar is 11 years old, yet it's the same price as the newest guitars... why is that?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer ✓

@David Macklem

Why should 11 year old instrument be cheaper than new one? Under the condition it is still good quality and well usable.

I am not sure, but I think Beatles LP costs more less the same like 50 years ago. I mean currently rereleased LP, not the historical one.... Similar with books of good writers... Why should they decrease price in time?

Answers

• Kubrak

Look at price of vintage gear. Price does not go down, it rises. The same should be for plugins....

Why do you think library should loose value in time? It is either still good and usable, and in that case there is not reason to lower the price... Or it is not good and usable, and in that case there is not much reasons to buy it anymore....

• afrogrit
    afrogrit Member Posts: 57 Helper

I agree, the new stuff should be cheaper

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro

Some if the newer guitars are better sampled with a melody instrument included

• Kubrak

I agree, the new stuff should be cheaper.

Actually, why not? If the price would rise in time, people would be motivated to buy as soon as possible as it never will be cheaper, so waiting costs money...

Sometimes, when I sell the secondhand gear, and nobody answers the add in longer time. I rise the price. And if nobody answers... I again rise the price. I have never had to rise it the third time....

• David Macklem

These are not the answers I was expecting....

I was thinking the 11 year-old instrument should be cheaper than the newest instrument...

I can't tell if you guys are serious, or if I'm being gas-lighted. hahaha

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 211 Advisor

A lot of us got that in komplete and kinda dont pay attention to pricing on individual libraries anymore. And clams have legs!

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

@David Macklem

Why should 11 year old instrument be cheaper than new one? Under the condition it is still good quality and well usable.

I am not sure, but I think Beatles LP costs more less the same like 50 years ago. I mean currently rereleased LP, not the historical one.... Similar with books of good writers... Why should they decrease price in time?

• David Macklem

I am new to this world, so... maybe I just don't know. Books are kind of a stretch as an analogy. We're just talking about the difference between VSTs in 2011 and VSTs in 2022... I assume some advances have been made.

But I sense you've got lots of energy and answers, so....

Older instruments should not be cheaper than new ones. Excellent.

• Ed M
    Ed M Member Posts: 144 Advisor

I think you make a valid point, older products might as well be in a somewhat lower price bracket. It might even persuade more people into buying.

That being said, those NI instruments are of pretty decent/very good quality, the "older" ones included. So even at the current price it's reasonable imo.

Also, if you're liking/wanting several instruments you might want to get one of the Komplete bundles.You'll get way better value for money, even more if you buy during a promotion period. Many, if not most of the people here have a Komplete bundle, hence the price of individual products is less important.

• Kubrak
    edited July 2022

Kontakt libraries are more like music or book like than software like. That is why I compare to music/books and not SW.

Yes, NI might sell old Kontakt libraries and Expansions at reduced price. But if they sell well at given price, why should they do it? Price is what customers are willing to pay, not what are production costs....

Also, selling old libraries at "higher" price may help to sell new ones at "lower" price. So that, old and new cost the same....

Simply there is not old and new library what counts.. There is good and bad library, that is important...

And you may buy old libraries secondhand. You get the same thing as if bought new.... It is much harder to buy new libraries secondhand.