Why doesn't sustain pedal work on my S88 Mk2??

J_roger
J_roger Member Posts: 12 Member
edited June 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I've done everything step by step and have the latest version of KK on Win10 and it just doesn't do anything at all. Why?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 210 Advisor
    Answer ✓

a) check actually plugged into the sustain pedal input

b) check polarity (or open/closed - meaning does it default to pressed or unpressed put another way) - many sustain pedals have option to be positive or negative (either switch on side, or internal); some will not work with all keyboards

c) momentary switch is not sustain pedal, but an on/off switch

d) some cheap crap sustain pedals from Amazon for $8 are total crap.

As Jester said, helps to know which brand of pedal, which jack plugged into, and if you can check screen for the pedal config in your software.

Sorry to be repetitive...

• J_roger
    Answer ✓

Many thanks for all suggestions.

UPDATE:

Nothing was working, so I opened the brand new M-Audio SP-2 pedal from Amazon I was using and lo and behold there was a crucial switch bit in it just rattling around.

Got it replaced and it all works absolutely fine first time. SORRY GUYS I assumed a brand new devicewould be fine but obviously not!

New question: I'm playing with Alicia's keys and the sustain seems a little TOO sustainy. Is there a way to reduce the amount of sustain in the pedal setting or is that something I can do on the individual sound?

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert
    Answer ✓

Sustain is... sustain. It simply holds the note so it has 2 modes of operation: on or off. No adjustment in the actual pedal or the pedal input as it is just a switch.

Depending on what you mean by "seems a little TOO sustainy". You can possibly adjust the parameters in the plugin but...

Keep in mind a piano will simply sustain notes you play until you release the sustain pedal and due to the analogue nature it doesn't have a "release/decay" adjustment to control this (without additional damper pedals). I suspect the problem you have is as you play the notes are all sustaining and becoming a muddled mess? I then assume you are not a piano player? In this case you need to learn how to work a sustain to kill the notes as you play by releasing the pedal as you progress through your playing and sustain when you need notes held.

Answers

• JesterMgee

Well, not being able to see it, no idea.

what brand of pedal?

is it normally closed or open?

screenshot of the pedal input config?

confirm what input it is connected too and it is inserted all the way?

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 210 Advisor
    Answer ✓

a) check actually plugged into the sustain pedal input

b) check polarity (or open/closed - meaning does it default to pressed or unpressed put another way) - many sustain pedals have option to be positive or negative (either switch on side, or internal); some will not work with all keyboards

c) momentary switch is not sustain pedal, but an on/off switch

d) some cheap ****** sustain pedals from Amazon for $8 are total ******.

As Jester said, helps to know which brand of pedal, which jack plugged into, and if you can check screen for the pedal config in your software.

Sorry to be repetitive...

• J_roger
    Answer ✓

Many thanks for all suggestions.

UPDATE:

Nothing was working, so I opened the brand new M-Audio SP-2 pedal from Amazon I was using and lo and behold there was a crucial switch bit in it just rattling around.

Got it replaced and it all works absolutely fine first time. SORRY GUYS I assumed a brand new devicewould be fine but obviously not!

New question: I'm playing with Alicia's keys and the sustain seems a little TOO sustainy. Is there a way to reduce the amount of sustain in the pedal setting or is that something I can do on the individual sound?

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

Sustain is... sustain. It simply holds the note so it has 2 modes of operation: on or off. No adjustment in the actual pedal or the pedal input as it is just a switch.

Depending on what you mean by "seems a little TOO sustainy". You can possibly adjust the parameters in the plugin but...

Keep in mind a piano will simply sustain notes you play until you release the sustain pedal and due to the analogue nature it doesn't have a "release/decay" adjustment to control this (without additional damper pedals). I suspect the problem you have is as you play the notes are all sustaining and becoming a muddled mess? I then assume you are not a piano player? In this case you need to learn how to work a sustain to kill the notes as you play by releasing the pedal as you progress through your playing and sustain when you need notes held.

• J_roger

Thanks 🙏 thought so but just checking in case.

You're right I'm not a piano player, I'm an electric gutarist but I just like the piano and am teaching myself some pieces.

I do naturally quickly release and press again when my left hand does chord changes (moonlight sonata, walking in th air) but perhaps I'm not too familiar with it and knowing how hard to press the notes etc so I take your point. I'll tinker around with ADSR and try different piano sounds in case it is actually something to do with the sound.

• Gareth
    Gareth Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

It's not always on or off. Some pedals have a continuous mode and operate from 0-127. Some piano libraries (Most of the Komplete pianos) have a half pedal option to give the notes more resonance without full sustain. This option requires a continuous pedal.

• JesterMgee

Yes, these are called expression pedals. Sustain is just a single 127 CC message to tell the instrument to hold the note. You don’t use expression to sustain. Some pedals do have half pedaling but this is usually a separate switches signal that needs a TRS cable not TS and the issue stated is why sustain does not work so we were working on that to save confusion