Let's discuss ergonomics and how you are fitting your Komplete Kontrol S49, S61 and S88

cleverest
cleverest Member Posts: 10 Member
edited February 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

...onto your desktops...I have a large dining-room-table-style desk and my S61 controller kills most of my space...I need to get my S61 onto a small raise shelf I can slide stuff under OR via a sliding shelf (Ideally). I also use this when not in use which adds a wee bit more bulk, but not a lot... Amazon.com: Decksaver NI Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 Impact Resistant Cover : Musical Instruments

I found this: Undermount Drawer for Komplete Kontrol S61 Keyboard | Etsy

Does anyone else have a better idea that maybe might help me? My desk space is limited due to where it is located. Can't do much about that.

Tagged:

Comments

• davemacp
    davemacp Member Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2022

I wish you could buy the controller section separately so you could have it sat on your desk. I use an s88 that slides under my desk which means I've had to sacrifice using the controls because they're hidden out of reach. The lightguide's the only reason I keep it, but I've been close to switching several times.

As far as your situation, I used to use one of these under my desk and slide it in and out. Worked perfectly and I only stopped because my new desk has a large shelf integrated.

If you're in the UK and interested, I can sell you my old one.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert
    edited January 2022

Ergonomics, a fave topic.

I have a pull out draw under my desk. I use to have the keyboard on my desk behind my computer keyboard but it took up the whole desk and so my Push and MCU were on a smaller desk on the side which was horrible to use as the MCU is for mixing levels so needs to be front and centre.

I do as I always do and custom build everything after I design it. I have a custom built lift desk which I installed some bracketing under it with slide rails for a kitchen draw. These are brilliant as they extend a long way and have a soft close function where it will prevent the draw from slamming back and also holds it in the closed position.

One thing to note is I offset the draw about half a foot back from the front of the desk so it clears my knees and since I have a lift desk I have a preset saved for when I need to pull the keyboard out fully which raises the desk enough to fully clear my legs but this would cause the desk to be a little too high for typing so I have a sit/work setting, sit/midi keyboard setting and a standing setting.

• cleverest
    edited January 2022
  • cleverest

That looks very nice. I have 0% carpentry skill so I have to rely on something I can buy, alas.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

Skills are usually born out of necessity. I too did not have skills in "carpentry" when I was born, I still don't but through self learning , failures and success you can build skills.... then build things. What you spend in time you save in hard cash. This is something I think kids have to have hammered into them so they don't become adults that believe they can't do things because they don't know how.

Literally that shelf is scrap wood, $10 draw slides and an hours work. Tools are a screw driver, tape measure, jigsaw and drill. Anyone could do it and it pays to be self reliant since the time you spend looking for a solution you then have to make work and adapt to, could already have been spent building something exactly as you want and learning skills.

In my life I have literally saved tens of thousands of $$$ since almost every DIY solution I take on I first compare my expected cost with a commercial equivalent

However, if you are confident that you have no skills nor the capacity to learn new ones then all the best finding a pre-fab solution.