Why does Kontakt keyboard have 85 keys?

Michael Dow
Michael Dow Member Posts: 22 Member
edited July 2022 in Kontakt

Is this just a huge and silly overlook that's been around for many years now? I don't get why not just make it 88 keys. Which is what a piano is. And the main S88 would then fully line up with what is also on screen. Why not make that panel resizable? Or if that's impossible for some reason, you could lose maybe a few pixels on each key and fit in the full 88.

Just seems really odd to me. Is there another reason why? It can mean the difference of not seeing your mapped keys properly.

Tagged:

Comments

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

It's basically legacy. If you load a newer Kontakt instrument that has the wider GUI, you will see all 128 MIDI keys there. That's the only way currently.

• Michael Dow
    Michael Dow Member Posts: 22 Member

Okay cheers. Seems crazy they can't just extend it somehow. I know nothing of coding though. As a layman its bonkers! haha Thanks for the reply again

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited July 2022

Yeah, it is far from a simple affair, and you're forgiven for thinking it'd be easy. It's not that easy, because the base width of instruments in Kontakt is 633 pixels, and that's also the case for instrument edit mode, which is constrained to that width and cannot be expanded.