Can I use the laptop keyboard to modify a controller?

cazco
cazco Member Posts: 46 Member

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this question. I have a Korg NanoStudio and I was wondering if I can use the computer to modify it. Would that require two TSIs and can they interact with each other in this way?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• cazco
    Answer ✓

Korg got back to me. It seems it can’t be done.

Yes, the "Scene" button has to be pressed to change scenes on the unit. It can only be changed via MIDI using SysEx messages which the nanoSeries controllers cannot transmit. Even then, the unit would still cycle through the Scenes rather than select a specific one.”

Another option would be if I could select the target deck on the laptop and then all the buttons on the nano could apply to that but I don’t think it can be done either.

it seems I may need another controller. Thanks everyone for your help!

Answers

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 227 Pro

I think modifiers are .tsi specific.

• cazco

Ah thanks I thought so, shame though would be super useful!

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 341 Guru

I'm not quite sure I understood what you mean: You want to press a key on your laptop and then what should happen? Should the NanoStudio do something, like light up a lamp? Should the keypress change something about the NanoStudio's config, like mapping a slider to a different parameter?

• Aquadics
    Aquadics Member Posts: 59 Helper

For Keyboard mappings in Traktor Pro you have the same possibilities for modifier as for MIDI mappings. What is missing is that one configuration can not exchange modifier state with another one.

What you would need is a MIDI app, able to recognise Keyboard events as well and to combine it with MIDI events. Not sure if there is something existing but if ever this would do the trick :-)

• cazco

Thanks so much for the answers. To clarify exactly what I would like to do. On the Korg there are 5 scenes available however clicking into scene 2 means I obviously lose all the functionality of 1 and then have to click through 3,4, and 5 to get back to 1 which is too slow. What I would love to do is press a button on my laptop keyboard which makes the functionality of the Korg scene 1 work for deck A,B, C ir D. So the computer would be the target deck selector. I noted that trying to use modifiers just on the Korg on the pan pots didn’t seem to work. I have 9 physical ones but what I would dream to have is 9 times 4. In reality the deck selector is a separate function. I’m guessing I just need to write a separate tsi for this and load it in? I think I may have answered my own question, though Im skeptical if it would work! The Korg itself also has a mapping software so maybe that could work also as you suggested @Aquadics. So @wayfinder the second one yes.

• Aquadics
    Aquadics Member Posts: 59 Helper

In this case I would take a look on Global -> MIDI Controls as well. You could change one by using a Keyboard action and in your Korg related mapping, react on this value to change the scene.

Traktor Pro was always an Eldorado for MIDI functionality even it can get limited in some ways :-)

• wayfinder
    edited July 2022

I took a look at the manual for the NanoKONTROL Studio (which I'm assuming you have, cause I couldn't find a "NanoStudio"), and it does not seem to have any way to set the scene from external input, MIDI or otherwise. Looks like you might be stuck with using the device's own scene button and only being able to cycle instead of selecting scenes directly.

If there IS a way to select scenes via MIDI, that is possible to set up for laptop keyboard control though. I just tested the basic functionality on my own controller and it works (using Global MIDI Controls in Traktor).

• cazco
    edited July 2022

@wayfinder my apologise it is the nanoKontrol Studio! Thanks so much for checking!

Yes shame about the scene thing but the Global Midi controls would do it! Ideally the modifier would be a quick press of the button that when let go it reverts back to the first scene if you see what I mean!

Im going to test the global midi controls now.

• cazco
    edited July 2022

Apologies @wayfinder I went to test it and realised Im confused in regards to this ... "I just tested the basic functionality on my own controller and it works (using Global MIDI Controls in Traktor".

Are you changing the scenes by sending out a midi message from the laptop through Traktor?

What was the the "Midi button 1" you are using? If so how do you do it? @Aquadics This is also what you are suggesting?

"

• wayfinder
    edited July 2022

With basic functionality I meant sending a signal to a MIDI device with a key press. I don't have the same controller as you. Very sorry!

The setup looks like this:

• In your keyboard device mapping page, go to Add In -> Global -> MIDI Controls -> Knobs and pick a Knob
    • assign it your desired key and set the value of the Knob to a value of your choosing with it
    • In your controller device mapping page, go to Add Out -> Global -> MIDI Controls -> Knobs and pick the same Knob
    • set it up to send on your desired MIDI channel and CC (or Note), set the controller range (both values) to your chosen value from above, and that should do it. For certain setups, you may need to adjust the MIDI control range (Note Off values require 1 to 0 or to work, I think)

I used this setup to implement two keyboard shortcuts for turning an LED on my controller on and off as a test.

If you need more keys, you can set them all up on the same Knob, just using different values.

But I wouldn't know how to send a scene change signal to your controller :(

• cazco

@wayfinder thank you so much for explaining. I’m currently drunk at a wedding 😂 but when I get a chance I will test this out, I really appreciate your help!

• wayfinder

Cheers :)

• cazco
    edited July 2022

@wayfinder

Hey please forgive me for being a bit slow , Im still trying to get my head around it. Is this right:

Is this in the Korg?

• "In your keyboard device mapping page, go to Add In -> Global -> MIDI Controls -> Knobs and pick a Knob"
    • "assign it your desired key and set the value of the Knob to a value of your choosing with it"

And this in Traktor?

• In your controller device mapping page, go to Add Out -> Global -> MIDI Controls -> Knobs and pick the same Knob
    • set it up to send on your desired MIDI channel and CC (or Note), set the controller range (both values) to your chosen value from above, and that should do it. For certain setups, you may need to adjust the MIDI control range (Note Off values require 1 to 0 or to work, I think)

Below is a picture of Traktor to the left and The Korg Kontrol Editor to the left. I would love to press the button shown on the Korg editor which say 2 and then have this temporarily become scene 2 whilst this button is being held and then for the scene to revert to 1 when I let it go. Is that where I go to the ADD OUT - Global - Midi Control - knob (Would I just do a button for what I am after?)

A million thank yous for your help! I so appreciate it!

• wayfinder

The steps I wrote were all in Traktor! What you wrote in your last post sounds different from what you wanted to do earlier, though? No mention of the laptop keyboard any more...? I am confused now!

• cazco

It was just another option. It would be amazing from my laptop keyboard if it's possible. Ok let me take another look at it. Thanks again!